Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PIAA Headlight *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
sata6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock low and high may be a little brighter but the deal is you can see a hell of a lot farther down the road which they are supposed too do, and thats what it looks like it is doing to me.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
09B29
Road Captain

I am sure the Piaa is the whiter light
I think you have them mixed up

I had a Silverstar ultra
Loved it
nice white light

but in 3 months it was burnt out high beam
I loved the Bulb

may try another

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Deuce shook the high beam out of two Silver Stars in short time. I got the PIAA 70456 for $48. It lights up the road much better and it's designed to be an anti vibration bulb. If it works, it will be money saved.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by 07superglide107
I am sure the Piaa is the whiter light
I think you have them mixed up

I had a Silverstar ultra
Loved it
nice white light

but in 3 months it was burnt out high beam
I loved the Bulb

may try another
I don't know if your are talking to me, as in the pictures are out of order or not, but I'll answer like you are in case you are. I can't account for the color difference between picture #1 and #2, but #1 is definitely the stock bulb. No mistake.

In the pictures you can see further down the road with the PIAA bulb than with stock on both hi & lo beam. It is probably most obvious looking at the center line and the sign(?) to the left. It is discernable in the picture, but riding down the road I tried hard to see a difference but could not. So my conclusion is that there is an academic difference but not a real-world difference.

I will probably go with an HID kit at some point after some more research.

Steve

Last edited by yso191; 11-18-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be my guess that you have a camera with ‘auto white balance’ and the camera shifted the white balance between the shots.

I did a pretty extensive comparison of the PIAA bulb and stock earlier this year on here. The PIAA seemd to have maybe a better or more even spread of light to me, but nothing dramatic. My headlight lamp glass broke with the bulb in it and I suspect it may have created more heat than the glass could handle in a rain storm, but I don’t know that maybe I didn’t just tighten the bezel too tight.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/318597-piaa-h4-extreme-white-plus-vs-stock-halogen-bulbs.html

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Seems to me your photos show how good the original light is. If adding a high performance bulb doesn't add much, the only way of getting much better performance is finding a better reflector.

I have a factory HID kit on my Glide. The light is intensely bright, but beam pattern is very poor, compared with yours.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
after some more research.
Steve
I've posted this a few times, but I'm amazed how much light they throw.
I added these Kuryakyn silver bullets and light up the road like a Christmas tree....
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/86/IMID/100

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
I've posted this a few times, but I'm amazed how much light they throw.
I added these Kuryakyn silver bullets and light up the road like a Christmas tree....
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...ID/86/IMID/100
Interesting... I checked the link out. How/where do you have the switch to turn them on & off? Also which ones do you have the small or large?

Steve

Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM
kylejwink
6th Gear

The camera is adjusting to the light level to provide the best possible picture possible. so its an unfair comparison. I've been running the silverstar ultras in my bike since the week of purchase and in every car/truck I've ever owned. Well not the ultras in the cages, just the silverstars, but the bulb in my bike gave me a wider and longer beam of light, its also not a dingy yellow anymore. and I paid 20 something bucks...so I say fair deal.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lverStarUltra/

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
Interesting... I checked the link out. How/where do you have the switch to turn them on & off? Also which ones do you have the small or large?

Steve
They are the large, but only 2.25" if I remember right. Still pretty small.
They are only 35w each, so I just tapped into my low beam wiring in the headlight bucket.
(VA law states they have to be switched - so I use the hi/low beam switch)
Around here, I don't get a chance to use the high beam so that set-up is just fine.

I gave my brother a little demonstration one night parked in his driveway. I turned the ignition on so the lights shined on his house. I used both hands to cover the Kury lights so he could see how much light was taken away. Then I switched and covered the headlight - it barely made a difference. For what's it's worth, I'm also running the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb in the headlight.

Quick Reply: New PIAA Headlight *pics*