Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true track for dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:37 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,410 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Default true track for dyna's

anybody use one of these to get rid of the wiggle and wobble that dyna's get when the mounts unload? G.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Plenty of members here use it. I own one but haven't been formally introduced yet. (lol @ JRK). I have ridden a bike with the TT installed and the bike felt like it was on rails. Definitely seems worth the money.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
DrSmaggs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you guys explain true track a little? I'm not sure what it is and it sounds interesting

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's probably one of the most discussed topics in this forum. A search will probably turn up 1000 or more hits.

Anyhow, most everyone who installed one seem to swear by it.

Do you have a dyna? I see you have almost 2000 posts, where have you been?

BTW, great looking wheel in your sig pic.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Only thing my bike does is when accelerating through a curve the back wheel skids out a little. Would a TT eliminate that,or is that just the dunlop tire warning me to ease up? Sorry ti hijack the thread but I gotta know!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Madd, you may be accelerating too hard and you're loosing traction. I don't think TT will correct that.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always ready to share my opinion, I copied a recent ride report I wrote in this forum for your convenience...

I know many have done a ride report on True-Track, but here I go with mine anyway. I just got back from an 80 mile round-trip along the Yakima river canyon (read: lots of twisties). I pushed it as hard as my skills could take it.

My first impression was that the bike felt tight. Apparently my brain interpreted 'tight' as 'harder to turn' - which was not the case. How this played out was when I was coming into a tight corner I wanted to (and often did) corner too hard, then had to straighten up and find the right line and go from there.

The next big impression was that I didn't have to actively steer as much. The wording in my head at the time was 'not as many steering inputs were required.' I felt like I could take my hands off the handle bars most of the time. One of the ways this played out was when riding one-handed. Prior to the True-Track, I'd have to keep a pretty firm grip in the right handlebar and keep a lot of forward push on it to make it track straight. Now just a couple of fingers to keep the throttle open.

When I was able to initiate the right track on a hard corner, it was like the bike was on rails. I know that is easy to say, but for the first time I felt like steering wasn't the issue it was whether the bike was going to break sideways or not with the centrifugal force.

And it didn't seem to matter about road surface conditions. I felt all the patches, bumps, holes, and whatever as always, but they just didn't translate into steering/tracking problems.

Awesome. Well worth the $305.

Steve

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Madd, you may be accelerating too hard and you're loosing traction. I don't think TT will correct that.
Thanks Vic! It's just that initial fraction of a second and I was trying to find out if that could be interpreted as "rear-stearing". Maybe i can still twist ,but more gradually,or I may have to start buying metz' or avons to meet my needs. We shall see!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DrSmaggs
Could you guys explain true track a little? I'm not sure what it is and it sounds interesting
If you take a look at any Buell or rubber-mount Sportster, you will see they have three stabilizer links. Touring bikes until 2009 have two links, but Dynas have only one. What the links do is limit sideways movement in the rubber mounts. Dynas have different rubber mounts to the other models, and it seems Harley expect them to be superior to previous systems. The 09 and later Touring models have a new and different rubber-mounting system.

The one stabilizer on Dynas is between the heads, under the gas tank. The True-Track kit provides the brackets and links to fit stabilizers in front of the engine and at the rear of the gearbox. So with a TT kit installed, your Dyna has the same set-up as a Buell!

As others have already stated, once fitted, the bike steers and handles far better, even in a straight line. I also have one on my 1990 Glide, so all three of my bikes have three stabilizers! It is the only way to go. I would also add I bought both kits before TT started sponsoring HDF. If you talk to them nicely they might give you a discount.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add that Sputhe also makes a good chassis stabilizer. Sputhe will sell you each half separately. If you only plan to install the front, which is an easy mod and gives you about 95% effectiveness, you can save 50%. The rear is a PITA to install on a Dyna.

Both chassis stabilizers work the same and cost about the same. Sputhe is a little more compact which makes it easier to also fit an HD oil cooler. TT is a forum sponsor.

Last edited by ColdCase; 11-17-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: true track for dyna's