Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true track for dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had it for a couple of years, snake oil.....

I'm lyin', the difference for those of us that are performance enthusiasts, is night and day........it's a "must have."

Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

I've had the Sputhe on my FXDXT for 3 years now; definately worth it. Allan Sputhe also made an aluminum swingarm for my bike; handles real good for a Dyna.....

Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you are the lone dissenting voice in the thread. Can you elaborate. Do you feel it makes no difference with or without? Does it make the ride worse?

The guys at the bike shop that have worked on my bike did not seem to be big proponents of the TT when I asked them about it. Said they've installed a couple but seem to agree with your opinion that it provides little benefit.

I've done a lot of work on my bike and would not hesitate to add the TT but only want to do so if it really improves the handling. (With the overwhelming support in this forum I am inching closer).

BTW, I feel the bike, now setup with Avon venoms, Progressive 440's and fork springs, and CCE fork brace handles pretty well.

Originally Posted by sniper77
Had it for a couple of years, snake oil.....

I'm lyin', the difference for those of us that are performance enthusiasts, is night and day........it's a "must have."

Old 11-18-2009, 04:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
I've had mine on for about a week and I think it did make a real difference.

HOWEVER the front link mount will interfere with the stock HD engine guard mount and the mount will need to be reworked. The two items absolutely can not be fitted to the same bike without modifying the guard mount.
The pics I posted earlier show my front TT with the engine guard on my 03. They don't come anywhere near each other, so there appear to be more than one guard out there. I don't have forward controls and my guard mounts to the forward frame mounts. Mike's guard fits to the frame with U bolts, which is the source of his problems. If your guard has U bolts, you will have problems, but if your guard is like mine, no problems!

Fitting a front stabilizer and not a rear seems pointless to me. The touring bikes to 09 had a front stabilizer stock and the lack of a rear stabilizer is what prompted the original stabilizer kits. There are at least a dozen brands out there now for dressers. Fit both or none at all! The rear mount takes all the sideways loads from the rear wheel and THAT is where the handling problems (if you feel you have any) originate.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 AM
lunloon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about the ease of installation?

require any jacking up?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lunloon

require any jacking up?
I did my install with the bike on the ground, using a jack to support the engine. A lift would be a luxury (I'm getting too old to work down at ground level!). Front mount is very easy (unless you have a front guard with U bolts!). I am not a trained mechanic and the rear tested my patience, it has to be said. I don't know if access on later bikes than my 03 is better, but there is very little space around the gearbox and swingarm pivot area. However the results are well worth the effort, believe me! I have TT kits on both my Dyna and Glide.

There are instructions on their website, which shows what you are letting yourself in for. TT tells us not to dismantle the links, which are preassembled, but I did, as it was too much of a wrestling match to work with them otherwise.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Fitting a front stabilizer and not a rear seems pointless to me. The touring bikes to 09 had a front stabilizer stock and the lack of a rear stabilizer is what prompted the original stabilizer kits. There are at least a dozen brands out there now for dressers. Fit both or none at all! The rear mount takes all the sideways loads from the rear wheel and THAT is where the handling problems (if you feel you have any) originate.
If you go back to posts.. oh maybe a year ago.. you will find a completely different story for newer model Dynas. Actual practice/experiences are in conflict with this statement.... just saying

Last edited by ColdCase; 11-18-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lunloon

require any jacking up?
The fronts are about the easiest mod you can make. I think you at least need something to support the engine when you losen the engine mount, easier to us a bottle jack or equivalent for this. Not required to lift the bike, but it may save some back ache.

The rears are a tight fit and removing/swapping mounting bolts can be difficult because of frame interference. You may want a stable lift just to see what you are doing and to get the rear off the ground to be able to push things around abit without much resistance. Can take awhile and you must have some patience, although some have had little or no issue.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Sounds like you are the lone dissenting voice in the thread. Can you elaborate. Do you feel it makes no difference with or without? Does it make the ride worse?

The guys at the bike shop that have worked on my bike did not seem to be big proponents of the TT when I asked them about it. Said they've installed a couple but seem to agree with your opinion that it provides little benefit.

I've done a lot of work on my bike and would not hesitate to add the TT but only want to do so if it really improves the handling. (With the overwhelming support in this forum I am inching closer).

BTW, I feel the bike, now setup with Avon venoms, Progressive 440's and fork springs, and CCE fork brace handles pretty well.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic and was saying that it was a night and day difference after installation.

It's a good upgrade. Expensive, yes, but it should be on your list if you like to turn.

I agree with doing both front and rear. I have read all the posts about people just doing the front, but the more I think about it, the more the rear seems to be just as important. I can't prove it though because I'm never removing that rear piece!

I'll echo what everyone else is saying about the install. I do all my own services on my cars and bike. The front was cake, the rear not so much. I removed the rear wheel to get a better look at things, and that made it somewhat easier. I did it on a cheap *** Harbor Freight lift.

Last edited by MZBuckeye; 11-18-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic and was saying that it was a night and day difference after installation.

It's a good upgrade. Expensive, yes, but it should be on your list if you like to turn.

I agree with doing both front and rear. I have read all the posts about people just doing the front, but the more I think about it, the more the rear seems to be just as important. I can't prove it though because I'm never removing that rear piece!

I'll echo what everyone else is saying about the install. I do all my own services on my cars and bike. The front was cake, the rear not so much. I removed the rear wheel to get a better look at things, and that made it somewhat easier. I did it on a cheap *** Harbor Freight lift.
I was being sarcastic and how he could have missed that is beyond me.

I concur with yours and others sentiments about installing both front and rear, there is no way you can lock the front in and skip the back and get the same/nearly the same results.

If you ride the bike in a part of the country that has hills and curves, you ride it like you stole it, you will notice the difference.

Quick Reply: true track for dyna's