Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush Slash Down/Baloney Cut/Straight Cut

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rush Slash Down/Baloney Cut/Straight Cut

Hello everybody!

When I was browsing Youtube looking for videos of rush slip on videos, I notice that most of the times people put slash down rush slip on. But I know there are 3 different "Cuts" for the Rush slip ons. So my question for you today is: does the bike sound different if you put a Slash Down or a Straight Cut? If yes, how is it different? I couldn't find many videos of other types of rush slip ons....

Thanks!

Voony.

P.S. I heard you can hear audio samples of the different pipes on their website but it looks to be only for the baffle sizes...and I couldn't get it to work anyway!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:57 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I prefer the 'baloney cut' mufflers.

It's a personal choice more than anything, but the side cut 'baloney model' blows the exhaust away from you and not down to the road where it might kick up dirt/dust, etc...

But the baloney cut model will also be a little 'louder' to vehicles or anyone on the right side of the bike.

More than anything though is what looks best to you...

Here is a picture of the Rush 'baloney cut' mufflers on my WideGlilde;

And 'baloney cut' Screamin' Eagle 2 "For Off Road Only Use" mufflers on my FatBoy;

Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Uuuuummmmmmm ok I got your point thanks man!

Do you hear your pipes good when you are at high speeds? I read stories of people saying that they couldn't hear the sound of their pipes at high speeds on the highway...

Old 11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
SilverV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only architecture not mentioned is tapered. IMHO, the best looking of the bunch, but Rush doesn't make them. Easier to just lop off the end I guess.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SilverV
The only architecture not mentioned is tapered. IMHO, the best looking of the bunch, but Rush doesn't make them. Easier to just lop off the end I guess.
What is tapered? I know slash cut as opposed as taggered...I'm confused lol

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Rush slip ons

Hey Voony, I just put on the baloney cut because I like the look better. I really do not think there will even be a 1 db difference in sound. I polled on this forum before I bought and the guys were right on. Now the BIG DIFFERENCE will be in the baffles. I have both 1.75 and 2.0 and there is one hell of a difference with 2.0 being much louder ( maybe twice as loud )especially when accelerating and even in cruise mode. I run with the 1.75 so my ability to hear will last a few more years and keep my Tinnitus at bay. No kidding...if you want to hear anything else at all out there on the road stay at 1.75 or below. HTH.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hommes
Hey Voony, I just put on the baloney cut because I like the look better. I really do not think there will even be a 1 db difference in sound. I polled on this forum before I bought and the guys were right on. Now the BIG DIFFERENCE will be in the baffles. I have both 1.75 and 2.0 and there is one hell of a difference with 2.0 being much louder ( maybe twice as loud )especially when accelerating and even in cruise mode. I run with the 1.75 so my ability to hear will last a few more years and keep my Tinnitus at bay. No kidding...if you want to hear anything else at all out there on the road stay at 1.75 or below. HTH.
I believe you And I'm sure Youtube doesn't do justice to the sound of the pipes with different baffles. I want a deep sound but not too loud

Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
I'm running the 2.0" Rush mufflers on my 100th Anniversity Wide Glide and they do put out a fair amount of tone. Seems to be very close to the PN 80258-99A (off road use only) Screamin' Eagle 2 mufflers that I also run.

I don't wear a helmet (haven't in close to 40 years of riding), and I don't have any problem hearing the pipes at any speed. Where I live we don't have any equipment checks, no emission checks, no inspections, or "noise police" running around checking mufflers. But if you live in a city or metropolitan area you might want to go with the 1.75" baffles to lower the tone somewhat.

The Rush mufflers are like the original SE2 mufflers, as it is very easy to swap out the internal baffles if you want more or less 'tone'... And like you stated; the larger the baffle diameter the larger the tone they produce...

Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Rush slip ons

And there is the problem. At idle the 2.0 deep sound is perfect but there it ends because the deep just gets louder when you get on the gas. The 1.75 sounds great to me when you are cruising, shifting, etc but the pitch is higher at all rpm's.

Also, I really do think there is a better performance and throttle response from the 1.75's. We are only talking about 5-10 hp over stock at best with either baffle so I don't think it is power that much thats making the difference...my '09 fxd just seems "snappier" and I think the motor runs better with the 1.75's....that backpressure issue the guys talk about on this forum definitely figures in.....

Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 AM
JunkHead
Cruiser

I just installed the 1.75" Rush straights on saturday and they sound great, nice low pitch rumble and I can hear them doing 75. Not loud and obnoxious but just right to me. You won't get any louder with the style only with baffle size, but from what I was told your kinda pushing it with the 2" and up as far as plug and play without having to remap, fuelpak or dyna so I said screw it and got the smaller just in case and I love them.

Quick Reply: Rush Slash Down/Baloney Cut/Straight Cut