Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Street Bob - Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
motocriz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Street Bob - Starting Problem

I have had this bike a few months so it is new to me. I went down to start it this evening and it is not starting. More info:

*Bike is in neutral.
*Hit the run button.
*Attempt to start and it gives a grinding/buzzing sound. The sound appears to be coming from down in the primary area.

My first guess is the starter motor. Am I on the right track or are there any other issues that may play a part.

I plan on doing the research tonight and then tackle the troubleshooting/fixing tomorrow.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start by checking your battery connections

Old 11-14-2009, 05:36 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

07 with original battery, battery may be weak. Best to use a trickle charger when ever bike is not being ridden.

If battery is weak, charge it up slow or relace. Do not jump start it.

Before all else, check connections for tightness on each end of each battery cable.

Hope this helps and its something this simple.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 11-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Tripwire1
Tourer

Check battery connection, amps/volt with a multimeter.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
motocriz
Cruiser

I will definitely look into the battery and the connections. It is an 07 and the previous owner only rode it a total of 351 miles in two years. The battery has tested fine in the past (a month or so ago).

The one thing that has me wondering is that past vehicles with dead battery's (that I have experienced) have basically done nothing when attempting to turn over. In this case the sound has kind of thrown me. It does come from the area of the primary.

Then again I have never had a Harley EFI before...maybe that is how they sound on a dead battery.

Thanks Guys!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by motocriz
I will definitely look into the battery and the connections. It is an 07 and the previous owner only rode it a total of 351 miles in two years. The battery has tested fine in the past (a month or so ago).

The one thing that has me wondering is that past vehicles with dead battery's (that I have experienced) have basically done nothing when attempting to turn over. In this case the sound has kind of thrown me. It does come from the area of the primary.

Then again I have never had a Harley EFI before...maybe that is how they sound on a dead battery.

Thanks Guys!
My 92 sportster (1st bike) did the same thing... it was the battery.
What's the update? Are you up & running?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well just above the primary is where your starter sits. A harley will sound just like a car with weak battery, a slow cranking sound leading to"click click click click" in most cases. If your light comes on with the ignition switch then it's not your battery. Grinding buzzing sound? like something is turning but without engageing the engine? I had a sound like that,if that's it, recently and it turned out to be the starter drive clutch. I had mine done under warranty,but it apparently isn't a big big job. Good luck

Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
motocriz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
Well just above the primary is where your starter sits. A harley will sound just like a car with weak battery, a slow cranking sound leading to"click click click click" in most cases. If your light comes on with the ignition switch then it's not your battery. Grinding buzzing sound? like something is turning but without engageing the engine? I had a sound like that,if that's it, recently and it turned out to be the starter drive clutch. I had mine done under warranty,but it apparently isn't a big big job. Good luck
I am going to look into it in the morning so I am not sure what it is. By grinding/buzzing sound...I mean...it sounds like you are grinding the gears on an old pick up truck....just a bit of a higher pitch.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
motocriz
Cruiser

UPDATE: Definitely not the battery or electrical. It also does sound mechanical.

There is some irony here. I received my "Fix My Hog" DVDs on friday and saturday morning went to the dealer to order a service manual and parts catalog. Saturday night I had this startup problem....hehehe

I will update from time to time. Riding season is nearing an end and I am going to make this my winter project. I really want to get it running myself (without going to the dealer). May take some time as I am still acquiring equipment.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated!