Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straightshot Slip-ons...now decel popping...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 AM
ramu3527
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Straightshot Slip-ons...now decel popping...

I installed some Straightshot Slip-ons and man does it sound better. I do however get some decel popping and that doesn't sound so great. I have the standard baffles in and was wondering if the quiet baffles will help any as I plan on giving them a shot to get the deeper tone I hear they produce. I am running a stock AC and no after market fuel management. Would those be my next step? It also seems I lost some of the pull the bike had on acceleration at higher RPM's. Would the quiets or AC and fuel management help with that at all?

Any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried everything to get rid of the decel popping on mine, and am convinced it is just the nature of the crossover tube on the stock headers.
As for the pull on top end, get a TFI or DFO (same thing). If you plan on getting cams or headwork later, something like power commander, harley race tuner, or TTS tuner would be the way to go.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 768 Posts

The quiet baffles may help the popping since they are not straight-through and can give you more back pressure. It's possible that you had decel pop with the stock pipes but couldn't hear it. It seems that every bike is different and responds differently to mods. Your popping is most likely due to a lean condition which is how HD has to set them up to meet EPA standards. Going to a high flow AC means you will need fuel management to get it richer. It also means you will see a definite power gain.
Try the quiet baffles first and see what happens, then go from there if it persists.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
ramu3527
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Default thanks, i will start with the baffles...

ok great, thanks for the help fellas.

now...lol...why can't i get this new mustang wide solo to slide forward enough to let the eyelet on the back of the seat drop in to where it needs to so i can put the screw in...ggrrrrr

Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

A cheap fix for the decel popping would be the Stage 1 download that can be done at the dealer. It's a canned map that doesn't do a whole lot, but in your case would probably work.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:15 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the slip-ons and A/C. IMHO, stage 1 is a huge waste of money. I was so disappointed with it, I had mine replaced with a super tuner and had it dyno'd. It made a night and day difference.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be lucky and one of the bandaids suggested here may work. The only sure way to tune decel pop out of even the most stubborn bike is with the TTS Mastertune tool or better. If you search here, there are dozens of stories just in the last six months of fellers trying everything, and failing. Decel pop is a fuel that did not burn completely in the cylinder mixing with air coming up the short pipes and lighting off. Could be too lean, too rich, or late timing.

Stage one download is a waste of $$ its not so cheap and does nothing for most pops, from what I've read here. A free flow intake may hurt more than help. A baffle will reduce the amount of air backing up, but the pipes are very short. An anti reversion cone may also help.

Again the only thing I found that will always get rid of the decel pop it is using the roughly $400 TTS tool or something better. The TTS allows you to find the sweet spot AFR and timing that burns all the fuel before leaving the cylinder, nothing left there to pop off. A side benefit of using the tool is that the tune you get is very good, better than many pro tuners, without the stress of a dyno tune.

The only way to get sound without losing torque is with a tuned 2-1 exhaust system like a thunderheader. Nothing wrong with wanting sound, but you should have expected that you give up some torque in the process. The bike's intake and exhaust from the factory is tuned for peak and reliable torque and messing with either will upset the bike's tune.

Last edited by ColdCase; 11-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At first I thought it was a bad thing , but now I kinda like that pop i get after winding a gear pretty high up and shifting!You will only get popping on zero throttle,so you can control it by keeping the throttle open just a bit,and as stated this is only due to un-burnt fuel in the pipes getting air and exploding which causes no damage. When I went to the quiet baffle the popping was almost completely gone,and I sorta miss it ! To spend extra money to get rid of it is a total waste of time, $, effort and worry.
@ donny i have no crossover tube and popping still happens
@ rack'nrail stage 1 is not a total waste of money, there may not be a huge power gain but it is enough that I wouldn't want to go back to stock. Plus it is the first step in building a more powerful engine,hence the name!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some decel popping recently, so I tried a new PCIII map from Power Commander's website. I was using a map that came with my PCIII (you tell them your setup, they load you a map) and I also noticed some missing when the bike was cold. I loaded a map for a Dyna with V&H full system, stock ECU and stage 1 a/c, and all's well now.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Straightshot Slipons, V&H Fuelpak and Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner. Have had for 12,000 miles. Runs wonderfully. Torque improved all across the board.

Quick Reply: Straightshot Slip-ons...now decel popping...