Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVON Cobra's

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 AM
YadaCode
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVON Cobra's

I've not seen any recent posts about experiences with the AVON Cobra. There are several older posts from guys who just installed some but nothing that I could find after they had some miles on them...

Any feedback appreciated as I need a rear tire, like yesterday. Also, very curious about anyone with experience with a Cobra 200 on the back. What did you put on the front, size, spec's, please.

Mucho appreciated!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 AM
ozsportster
Advanced
Default Rear Avon Cobra and Fat Bob

Hi There.
I've got an 08 FXDF Fat Bob. I've had the Avon Cobra on the rear now for about 2000 miles (3,200 kms).
I really like this tire. Great dry weather grip and feel thru the corners. The roads in my part of the world are often pot-holed, road snakes, (and real snakes lying on the road) and mine subsidence is also a problem.
The cobra has been great. On the original tires, the bike would follow the grooves on the road. You don't feel that at all with the Cobra.
I've had great wear so far and I would buy another.
I run the Original size 180/70 16. A 200 looks possible but you may have a problem with the belt on one side and the rear brake line on the other.

I fitted an Avon Venom front the same as the Original size after having the cobra on the rear for about 1,500km with mixed results. Better than the stock Dunlop front in the dry, not as good in the wet. I fitted this venom front after emailing Avon in England and asking what I should run on my Fat Bob.
They suggested to run the venom front with the cobra rear rather than go to the 150 cobra front.
They say they are working on a Fat Bob size front cobra but not yet available.

I'm doing some major improvements on my engine next month and I might even lash out and put the new pirelli Night Dragon on the front just to see how different it is (if at all).
Good Luck mate

Attached Thumbnails AVON Cobra's-100_0041.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I haven't used Cobras, but love Venoms. You can find more details on Avon's website. They are also quick answering questions, if you email them for information.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

You have me alittle worried. I have a set of Cobra's waiting to be mounted up to my wheels once I get them back from the powdercoater. 200-16 rear, 150-16 front. I've done quite a bit or research here and the 200/150 combo should fit with no trouble. I hope others chime in on this thread........Rich

Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's the difference between the Cobras and the Venoms?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Unimoose
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Venom-R's on my bike front and rear. They really hold the ground in corners. Their customer service was really quick too when I had a question for them.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle

Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
What's the difference between the Cobras and the Venoms?
There are two links on this thread to their website! Venoms tend to be for stock bikes including heavy tourers while Cobras are custom sizes, including very wide ones. That is my understanding, now go take a look....

Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM
YadaCode
Stage IV

Additional info:

I emailed AVON because I was concerned about mixing bias and radials which is what AVON's fitment recommended:

Front - Venom MT90B16 74H (bias-ply)
Rear - Cobra 180/70R17 77H (radial)

The following is they're prompt reply:

Hi, mixing of radial and bias tires is only permitted if the radial tire is on the rear so in the case of your bike this is an approved fitment. This is based on testing of the combination on bikes that it is a recommendation for. Hope this helps in your decision.

Kevin Corbett
Mickey Thompson Tires
Technical Service Representative
1-800-222-9092 Ext.3169

After reading this and OZSPORTSTER's helpful comments I ordered the above tires which amazingly enough arrived today. They look great...and will be installed tomorrow.

I've read several posts and viewed photo's from the forum where others have successfully installed a 200 rear (Cobera). If memory serves, I believe they dropped to a 60 to maintain the proper installed height. I'll look for those posts and list them here for those interested.

Concerning the difference between the Cobra and the Venom, the following should help answer those questions:

AVON Venom
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/venom

AVON Venom -R (If you need one of these, please post a picture of your ride!)
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/venom-r

AVON Cobera
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/cobra

Thanks to all that responded...

YadaCode

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM
YadaCode
Stage IV

Alright, the Cobra rear and Venom front were installed this morning. Spent the afternoon winding through the North Georgia mountains. Of course, all new tires feel good but after taking that into consideration and the fact that I go throught a set of tires at least once a year, I can say the following about the AVON's:

They have a very "sure" feel in the corners. It didn't take long before I had a great deal of confidence and was pushing them. On the ride back to the homestead, I took the interstate which is riddled with grooves and those black tar snakes. The tires tracked through them with a good positive feel. I could feel the grooves and tar snakes but not too much and the bike stayed on-line where i wanted it to go without any problem.

To qualify what I've said, this was one day on new tires. But, it was a very positive feel and I rode with confidence. So far, I would give them a 9 out of 10...It would have been 10 out of 10 but i had to pay for the tires (or for some of you , tyres. Here in Georgia we call them "tars").

In Georgia we don't have much of a fall season so I'll be riding a lot the next few weeks while the temps are good and will report additional results afterwards for those of you that are interested.

I would still like to hear from others about their long term experiences with the AVONs.

Thanks and right-right;

Yada

Last edited by YadaCode; 11-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 AM
JohnNLV
3rd Gear

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My name is John Bivens. I sell Harley"s here in Henderson, nv. I've sold bikes for 12 years and love what I do. I've rode daiBreaking News a new dinosaur was found attacking ppl from behind, it's a *****-sore-***. I heard it was last seen leaving ur house, are u ok?ly since2001 started w

Quick Reply: AVON Cobra's