Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors removed...affects?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 04:16 PM
rap87
|
Tourer
Default O2 sensors removed...affects?

I have big radius pipes installed without the O2 sensors and I wanted to know what effect that has on the EFI system if any. I know the big advantage over EFI is easier cold starts, and the ability to adapt to any elevation and temperature for consistent performance. Now that I have the O2 sensors removed does that inhibit the system any? Thanks.

Old 07-10-2006 | 05:04 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer
Default RE: O2 sensors removed...affects?

Yes, efi processes info from O2 sensors to adjust pulse width of injectors

Old 07-10-2006 | 05:11 PM
rap87
|
Tourer

So, did I lose the ability to adjust for elevation?

Old 07-10-2006 | 05:12 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

YUP

Old 07-10-2006 | 05:25 PM
rap87
|
Tourer

Hmmn...well what does the system do now...if the Air changes...is it going to start coughing like a Carb model? Sheesh, many exhaust companys have let you keep your sensors...why would vance and hines screw you?

Old 07-10-2006 | 06:25 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

u need to buy new 02's for the pipes .

Old 07-10-2006 | 06:43 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

You got older big radius pipes. I have the newest ones and they have O2 attaches on them. You can weld up the pipes you have to accept the O2, if you have the welder and the skill.

Old 07-10-2006 | 06:46 PM
rap87
|
Tourer

Hmmn, whelp I learned a few things just now. Apparently the Big Radius has the space to fit the 02 sensors, but they are plugged off during installation. The service tech told me they aren't needed and are more of an EPA thing Harley has to do. He said the power commander takes care of all changes in elevation....thoughts?

P.S. He also said if they didn't plug the 02 sensors it would cause are sorts of backfiring...kinda sounds like the AIS system I had to remove on the Yamaha I had when I changed pipes...puts fresh air into the exhaust and that would cause alot of backfiring if you didn't cap it off...maybe its not a sensor its more like the AIS stuff yamaha has to put on...

Old 07-10-2006 | 07:49 PM
Cory
Tourer

removed my o2 sensors when I put on new pipes and the powercommander. about 2000 miles since and no problems.

Old 07-10-2006 | 09:38 PM
man4mopar
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rap87

Hmmn, whelp I learned a few things just now. Apparently the Big Radius has the space to fit the 02 sensors, but they are plugged off during installation. The service tech told me they aren't needed and are more of an EPA thing Harley has to do. He said the power commander takes care of all changes in elevation....thoughts?

P.S. He also said if they didn't plug the 02 sensors it would cause are sorts of backfiring...kinda sounds like the AIS system I had to remove on the Yamaha I had when I changed pipes...puts fresh air into the exhaust and that would cause alot of backfiring if you didn't cap it off...maybe its not a sensor its more like the AIS stuff yamaha has to put on...
If you have the Power Comander (PCIII) it has O2 eleminators. Removing the O2 sensors puts you into a open loop system even without a PCIII. PCIII has O2 simulator basicly gives the ECM a good signal as if the O2 sensor was in range. PCIII makes possible A/F ratios out of the 14.7:1 range while keeping the ECM happy and you with no trouble code. The ECM monitors Barometric pressure so it will adjust for altitude regardless of the O2 sensors in place or not.This is a very short discription.

Oh and the AIS you removed from your Yamaha is completely different. Your 06 Dyna does not have that system.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors removed...affects?