Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Detachable side plates

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Non Detachable side plates

I bought I Plug N Play sissy bar mount awhile back but think I am going to go with some non detachable sideplates and notch them instead.

I know alot of you guys have done this but are there any issues (rattling, messing up paint, coming loose etc). Just curious after some of you have had it done for awhile now.

Plug N Play is in the classifieds if anyone is interested as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be concerned about both of those issues bberck. Are you just trying to keep things cleaner back there without the detachable hardware? I let some kid behind the parts counter at a dealer I don't frequent talk me out of the detachable setup when I first bought my sissy bar stuff. He didn't like the look as much and talked me out of it even though that's what I walked in to buy on my way to the airport. I hated not being able to remove the sissy bar. Fortunately the sissy bar and pad and luggage rack would still fit on the detachable setup so I didn't have to re-buy everything but I think I took a ******* on the rigid sideplates when I sold them. I really don't think the detachable hardware looks all that bad or noticeable.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was going to use it alot I would go with the detachable but I will only put it on a couple times a year so I would like to keep the hardware stuff off.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are notched with no issues at all. Notch the front one at the 3:00 position and the rear one at the 6:00 position,

Old 11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
If I was going to use it alot I would go with the detachable but I will only put it on a couple times a year so I would like to keep the hardware stuff off.
I hear ya. Was the case with me too until I got my solo rack. Now I'll be using it a little more.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be really careful to protect the fender and the notched deal will work OK.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
sibur
Tourer

I bought a used bike with ridgid sideplates, and I'm hoping to change them out this winter.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

I've had both and like the rigid mount better. Once the signals are relocated it's not that big a deal to remove two bolts and slide the thing out. I normally put a nice thick layer of masking tape on the paint when I'm doing that job. I also added some really thin peel-n-stick foam on the back of the plate itself.

PsTaN

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsTaN
I also added some really thin peel-n-stick foam on the back of the plate itself.

PsTaN

Good idea...I'm gonna try that.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Johnny Aultino
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just got my first bike and this is my first message. I'm wonderin if anyone has any input on sissy bars. I've only seen ONE that Harley makes that I like but the stupid thing only fits the fatbob or the wide glide. I've seen some cool aftermarket bars but damn I don't feel like spending 300 bones. Anyone know of some decent bars that are a little less expensive? I may fabricate one since I'm a broke ***. Lemme know

Quick Reply: Non Detachable side plates