Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009 | 02:53 AM
yso191
|
Club Member
Default Hi Beam

Any one else find the high beam totally useless? Yet again tonight I was riding at dusk and could have used a functional high beam.

It should continue to light up what the low beam does just as well, but spread more light to the sides and further ahead. What it does is spread the light, but it's like it just spreads the same amount of light over a larger area, making it harder to see everywhere.

Maybe I need a headlight upgrade, but man the stock one is crap.

Steve

Old 11-09-2009 | 04:40 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Has it always done that? Sounds like it could be a problem in a switch...I find mine to be quite useful.

Old 11-09-2009 | 04:53 AM
TrickyRick55
Intermediate

If you can get a HID light kit, its the way to go. Makes for much better night riding and daytime visibility is better as well. found this one through Google. Don't know anything about it or the seller but thought I would offer it up as an option. http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5397229. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2009 | 05:06 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

I picket up a Sylania H4 SilverStar bulb from a local auto parts retailer for less than $25.00. The difference in visibility and light output is drastic.

A comparison of the difference is offered in the link below. The results I experienced were similar to what is shown.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ar/default.htm

Old 11-09-2009 | 06:35 AM
Delmarksman
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
I picket up a Sylania H4 SilverStar bulb from a local auto parts retailer for less than $25.00. The difference in visibility and light output is drastic.

A comparison of the difference is offered in the link below. The results I experienced were similar to what is shown.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ar/default.htm

Thanks for posting that. Was it just a straight up "Bulb Swap?"
Or...

Old 11-09-2009 | 06:38 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Unplug the old, plug in the new. Thats it!

Old 11-09-2009 | 06:58 AM
Nashville
Tourer

Got to agree on the stock light- I was night riding and the visability went to hell when I hit the high beam.

Old 11-09-2009 | 07:17 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

I don't even use my low beam. lol

Old 11-09-2009 | 10:47 AM
yso191
|
Club Member

I think I'll go out today and get that sylvania.

Steve

Old 11-09-2009 | 11:01 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Heres another couple of tricks you might consider.
First, upgrade to a 7" bucket
Second, get rid of the diffuser in the reflector (makes the biggest difference overall)
Third, adjust the headlight downward if you plan on using the high beam (brings the high beam into a more useful area)
Fourth, add passing lights (any manufacturer you want)
Fifth, Siverstars are a great addition, but keep a spare bulb. They blow a little too often. (Vibration)
Sixthly, if you have the money, go for HID. If you want high and low, you'll have to buy 2 units. But dont get frustrated when it wont come on every time. Several people I know have an issue there and I dont have an answer for it other than tickle the switch. Small price to pay for the best there is.

Quick Reply: Hi Beam