Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009 | 11:12 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kk6pg
If you want high and low, you'll have to buy 2 units.
Wrong. You just need to get a kit with hi/lo, bi xenon, whatever. They call it a few different things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories

Old 11-09-2009 | 02:57 PM
futureratbike
Banned

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Heres another couple of tricks you might consider.

get rid of the diffuser in the reflector (makes the biggest difference overall)
What's the "diffuser"? Is it that black umbrella looking thing that covers the bulb? If it is, I never understood the use of it and would gladly get rid of it if it'll give me a little more light.

Old 11-09-2009 | 03:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

You'll love the Silverstar. Also, it doesn't hurt to spend some time reaiming the headlight to exactly where you want it. A nice dark road and a socket wrench will really get a silverstar working for you for very little money and effort.

Old 11-10-2009 | 02:33 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

The silverstars are really good bulbs. I put them in my car but they can't take the vibrations from a motorcycle. When I first got my bike I had the same issue. the headlight was aimed to high. I adjusted it and it made all the differance. Now my high beam seems just as good as the silverstars.
Try adjusting it before you go spending alot of money on bulbs it's alot cheaper and it's easier than changing the bulb.

Old 11-10-2009 | 02:41 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

+2 or 3 or whatever on aiming the headlight properly. Draw a line on a wall 35" from the floor. The center of the front axle of the bike needs to be 25' from that wall (across level ground). Put on the high beam. Aim it so that line on the wall lands right in the middle of the beam. You should be sitting on the bike when you do it.

Old 11-10-2009 | 04:14 AM
jcmusic
Tourer

I went with silverstar and so far so good, if it doesn't last I will try the HID!!!

Jay

Old 11-10-2009 | 08:18 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

I think aiming the light is priority one. I get plenty of light from my stock bulb and headlight. High and low beam. I found a dark road and aimed the way I wanted it. I worry about longevity of the silverstar.

Old 11-10-2009 | 08:45 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

I've been running the Silverstar Ultra bulb over 10k miles. Probably closer to 15K miles and haven't had to replace it yet. I don't use the high beam at all as I have a set of Kuryakyn Silver Bullets tapped into the low beam wiring and light up the road like a Christmas tree...

Old 11-10-2009 | 09:24 AM
yso191
|
Club Member

Originally Posted by rounder
I think aiming the light is priority one. I get plenty of light from my stock bulb and headlight. High and low beam. I found a dark road and aimed the way I wanted it. I worry about longevity of the silverstar.
Yeah that was my first thought and so I did. It didn't help. I don't know maybe I've got a defective bulb. After consulting with the local Indie, I've ordered a PIAA Intense White bulb. He said that not only would I put out a lot more light but the color range of this bulb would bring out more contrast. OK.

Steve

Old 11-10-2009 | 11:14 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by yso191
Any one else find the high beam totally useless? Yet again tonight I was riding at dusk and could have used a functional high beam.

It should continue to light up what the low beam does just as well, but spread more light to the sides and further ahead. What it does is spread the light, but it's like it just spreads the same amount of light over a larger area, making it harder to see everywhere.

Maybe I need a headlight upgrade, but man the stock one is crap.

Steve
You say you were riding at dusk. What about when it's dark? Dusk is a strange time as far as visibility, even in a car, IMO. My Street Bob high beams are fine in the dark, as are my hubby's Road King (so far!)

Quick Reply: Hi Beam