Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler, yes or no, again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 12:47 PM
BugDr
|
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler, yes or no, again!

I know this has been beaten to death, and I have read as many of the previous threads that I can find, BUT, it just seems that having an oil cooler when riding in stop and go and commuter traffic can't be a bad idea. I have a new Street Bob and already have been caught in stop and go traffic that I couldn't avoid, and felt the increased heat from the engine. Is there any time, say in the winter with low 30 to 40 degree temps that an oil cooler could be damaging to the engine? I am speaking of the H-D oil cooler for the Dyna. Thanks for any input.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:05 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

The HD unit (i have one) has a thermostat so winter is not an issue. They even help in stop and go and you cool down quicker once you're moving again. I believe an oil cooler is a good thing.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:08 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tie wrap a piece of carboard over the cooler in the winter .... lol ... it works..

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:14 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The H-D cooler has a built in thermostat. The oil bypasses the cooler until it reaches 185 deg. F when the thermostat opens and allows the oil to circulate. The cooler will not operate unless the oil is over that temperature. If, for any reason, say in winter, the oil drops below 185 degrees the thermostat will close again to allow the oil to heat up.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:16 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a buddy who's an HD wrench, and I asked him if I should get one when he installed my Stage 1. He told me that it wasn't necessary. He went on to explain why, but I don't remember what his reasons were. I obviously don't think they can hurt an engine, but I didn't get it since he said I don't need one. That may be due to where we live vs. living in TX or FL where you get more extreme heat.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:34 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't let traffic jams slow me down and will lane split or go around somehow. I used to run a cooler but found it to be a pain when changing oil which I do often. I had a temp gauge and didn't see that much of a change in temp. A good tune would probably yield more. The bike I have now is a carb model and runs cooler then any other Harley I have owned. No cooler is in my future with this one.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:40 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 877 Likes on 585 Posts

Here's some info from the P/A catalog:

"Premium Oil Cooler Kit for Dyna® Models, p/n 26151-07
This cooler was designed specifically for Harley-Davidson® to out-perform all other coolers in the industry. This cooler features a unique "Turbulator" system that evenly distributes oil across the cooling chambers. The air fins are designed to efficiently dissipate heat. This popular Touring oil cooler has been re-designed to simplify installation and enhance performance. The larger heat exchanger provides additional cooling efficiency. Kit features an adapter plate with integrated thermostat that allows oil lines to connect to the oil filter bracket. The thermostat activates at 185°F (85°C). Kit comes complete with mounting hardware and precut oil lines. Kit includes Chrome Oil Cooler Cover.

Fits '06-later Dyna® models (except FXDSE/2, FXDFSE and California models). Does not fit with Front Spoiler Kits or Definitive5™ Filtration System Kits. Fits with all H-D® Engine Guards."

I have added the link to the instruction sheets to the ***H-D Instruction sheets database***

FXD2003Rider

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:55 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

A fuel management device is more important than an oil cooler. If it still gets hot after your bike has been retuned then sure; get an oil cooler. It certainly can't hurt.

I live in the desert SW so I have a cooler on both my bikes and it does make a difference.

Old 11-08-2009 | 04:36 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one and I like the fact that the unit uses a theromostat.

Old 11-08-2009 | 05:01 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by domenicp7
I have one and I like the fact that the unit uses a theromostat.
Me too

Quick Reply: Oil cooler, yes or no, again!