Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Dyna Forks or Frames Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do Dyna Forks or Frames Flex?

Hi, guys,
I have a sportster and I love the bike. It's my third sporty. But I noticed a spooky thing the other day while riding, and as a result I've have actually been thinking about getting another bike... Here's what happened...
I had a sissybar bag on my seat (snug and tight) and I was rounding a nice, smooth sweeper out in the middle of nowhere, so I cranked the throttle for the fun of it, and for a second or two it felt like the bike was made of rubber... it was all over the place. Do you think it was the added weight, rubber mounts, or just normal fork flex? I've never felt anything like it before... I've had a little flex on uneven pavement, but not like this... do your Dynas ever do that?
Thanks,
OldCoot

Last edited by OldCoot; 11-08-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: subscribed
Old 11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You bet they flex. All the above, forks, frames, engine mounts.....

Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooooooh Yeees!! It was a hell of a shock to me when I first experienced that "rubber" feeling. I came from a Jap VFR800 V.Tec to the Dyna, first serious corner I came to, gave it a bit of "beans" and near ended up ploughing a field. I know they call these things Tractors but I thought that was taking the analogy just a bit too far!

Once you've learned to live with it and adjust the riding style though it's fine, I love my Dyna now - probably the most fun bike I've ever owned, and there's been a few! Having said that it'll still be getting kitted out with some progressive shocks front and rear and maybe a fork brace as soon the pennies allow.

Derv

Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derv
Ooooooooh Yeees!! It was a hell of a shock to me when I first experienced that "rubber" feeling. I came from a Jap VFR800 V.Tec to the Dyna, first serious corner I came to, gave it a bit of "beans" and near ended up ploughing a field. I know they call these things Tractors but I thought that was taking the analogy just a bit too far!

Once you've learned to live with it and adjust the riding style though it's fine, I love my Dyna now - probably the most fun bike I've ever owned, and there's been a few! Having said that it'll still be getting kitted out with some progressive shocks front and rear and maybe a fork brace as soon the pennies allow.

Derv
Thanks for your help, Derv.
I put Progessive shocks on the back and springs up front, as well as a fork brace. It's felt pretty good until this spookey wiggle... I'm hoping it was just the bag on the back.
OldCoot

Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Probably the issue that the TrueTack corrects, but yes, compared to high performance bikes, Dynas (and all HD's I'd bet) are a bit loose.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCoot
Hi, guys,
I have a sportster and I love the bike. It's my third sporty. But I noticed a spooky thing the other day while riding, and as a result I've have actually been thinking about getting another bike... Here's what happened...
I had a sissybar bag on my seat (snug and tight) and I was rounding a nice, smooth sweeper out in the middle of nowhere, so I cranked the throttle for the fun of it, and for a second or two it felt like the bike was made of rubber... it was all over the place. Do you think it was the added weight, rubber mounts, or just normal fork flex? I've never felt anything like it before... I've had a little flex on uneven pavement, but not like this... do your Dynas ever do that?
Thanks,
OldCoot
The Sportster has the 3 links already built in unlike the Dyna. I never got wallow out of the rubber mounted sportster and the bag should not cause this, should be able to carry a passenger with no problems. I would look into it a little more, might just be the rear shocks need a little bit more pre-load, tire inflation, tire condition, rear wheel alignment, all the mounts tight? Kind of sounds like the rear broke loose under acceleration. Do a good look over!

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 11-08-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Derv
Tourer

Of course it could be your tyres, they're the first port of call more me when I start experiencing handling problems. Modern tyres are great but they do have a finite life - which is usually a long way before they get worn out. Tyre pressures , have you checked those? Also check out your headstock, swingarm & wheel bearings. Fork oil - when was that last changed? Do you have wire wheels? The spokes could have worked themselves loose - likewise engine mounts. Any one or a combination of the above could cause your probs Have you taken it for a run without the bag on the back? Heavy bags react differently to a passenger because they're a "dead weight".

Let us know how you go on

Derv

Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,868 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Check the basics, as Derv recommends. Your 'rubber' Sportster is a source of envy to most Harley owners, as it has the same three stabilizer system as all Buells, so should be as close to perfect as is possible!

As MZBuckeye suggests, the True-Track provides Dynas with stabilizers front and rear, like a Sportster, which improves handling significantly. The rear is a difficult to fit, but the rewards are very worthwhile. I have T-T kits on both my Dyna and Glide and recommend them to anyone who will listen! The bike rides better even in a straight line, as well as handling far better than without.