Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just dont understand

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM
cjlandry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Fat Bobs, but I prefer the Street Bob, though I've never understood the name "Bob". In the old days, the 5 gallon tanks were called "Fat Bob" tanks, before they ever had such a model name for a bike. I also love the bobtail fenders.

Back then, we built 'em from baskets. When Willie G and the boys took over in '84 or so, they started building bikes to mimic what they saw the riders building. Bikers weren't buying new bikes, but there was a new target market beginning to emerge. They took full advantage of these people who wanted the Harley style without the need to be a mechanic, welder, machinist, bodyman, painter, etc., in order to customize and ride their own cool machines.

Harley Davidson didn't get their styling clues from engineering. They got them from the street. Softail is a prime example. Lots of rigid frames on the road back then. Softails capitalized nicely on the rigid look while still having a suspension.

Originally Posted by Dooley
I didn't like the dual headlights either till I rode it at night. Everything else is cool, can't understand why some don't like the bob tail fender? Matter of taste I suppose.
Personally I never understood skinny 21 inch fronts........floppy low speed handling and no lean angle, but they do LOOK nice.
Nothing "floppy" about the low speed handling of my WG. I found it worse at typical highway speeds. Stock tires sucked, but once that was fixed, handling issues disappeared for me. The Pirelli on the rear is also a bit taller than stock, so that gives me plenty of lean angle now. I'm unable to scrape my boot-heels as often as before.

Though it's not my personal choice, I still think the "Fat Bob" is cooler'n hell. It certainly has its niche.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM
hellfrozeover
Advanced

This is my first Harley and about the only one I liked initially. It felt extremely comfortable and natural when sitting on it and taking it for a test ride. I liked the design (still up in the air on the dual headlight) and don't care much for the full dressers, etc. Coming from a life of sport bike riding I felt this was the right choice for me. Odd post really-people love things for different reasons period. Otherwise the fat ugly girls would always be single.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
cjlandry
Road Master

Just remember that the original post in this thread was almost two years ago.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
06hdsb
Advanced

Again, They look too much like a Jap Bike.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Funny that earlier this year there was this thread asking why isn't the fat bob more popular.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-popular.html

I do hardly see them in my area and they seem to get no attention from HD or the aftermarket year to year, but I guess some would say there's no need to mess with perfection.

I agree with those that say it does not look like a traditional Harley. Like others here, some of the differences I like, some I don't love. I bought mine because it felt and drove the best for me by far. I still feel the same way.

I started with a bike I loved the look of before and could never get to feel right (Softail...just hate the "B" motor, lack of turning clearance, handling). Rode it for 4 years and 30,000 miles, but it never completely clicked for me. This time I was determined not to make the same mistake. I figured I can fix the looks a lot easier than the foundation. It has not been a no-brainer though.

....2 years onto it I'm still figuring it out. I see a lot of SBs that look amazing to me. Very few FBs pull that off yet IMO. That said, there a far fewer people willing to try I think. The FB community mostly either leaves it fairly stock or takes a few risks in the style department with mixed results (mine included...although nothing I did was "risky" yet). Then there are the FBs that look great to me like blacknsilver's. The SB was made for the bobber look which is so popular, the FB does not fit into that as easily but it's also not a Fat Boy either and has a more modern style from the get go...so it is neither completely "minimal", nor completely "classic", neither fish nor fowl...therefore it can't play easily into HDs heritage of style. If anything it is a little more of a drag bike, but it handles like a combination canyon carving/tourig bike. Stabile, fast, agile, and comfortable. Perfect. That's why I bough it.

I love the model and hope HD doesn't kill it before it fully finds it's potential in the custom community. Either way, I don't mind messing with the looks, it gives me something to tinker with now and then and keeps it fresh. The Softail looked too perfect to need changing, that was boring in a way I didn't realize until I had a bike I love to change...If I had a SB I would probably just turn it into another bobber...the FB? I have no idea what it will finally become, or what it will take to get it there for me. Look forward to seeing what other FB owners figure out in the mean time.

Last edited by Thingfish; 07-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
annapolisfatbob
Tourer

Theres not a stock harley out there that doenst need changes! after i get rid of the rear fender and new handlebars i think the bike will look awesome.