Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunks and Clanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunks and Clanks

I've done some forum searches, but have found nothing that floats my boat. I have two "clanks" that occur on my bike--my definition of a "clank" being more than a "click" but less than a "clunk". So I hope that's clear as mud.

The clank when going over a decent bump--to me this has always sounded like something inside the fuel tank, almost as if there was a float or some other free object that strikes the top of the tank from the rapid jolt of the bump. It's not a tremendous sound that sends shudders through the bike, but it's certainly enough to be easily heard. Does anyone have any theories that something besides a loose steering head/bad bearings/shock oil etc... causes this noise?

The clank from the front brake--happens when I apply the brake somewhat abruptly after having applied the brake when rolling in the opposite direction. Example; if I back the bike out of my garage and then use the front brake to stop, the next time I use the front brake (this time in forward motion) it makes a "clank". All bolts are tight so I assume this has something to do with some slop in the floating design?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Exclamation Sounds

Originally Posted by Andjh123
I've done some forum searches, but have found nothing that floats my boat. I have two "clanks" that occur on my bike--my definition of a "clank" being more than a "click" but less than a "clunk". So I hope that's clear as mud.

The clank when going over a decent bump--to me this has always sounded like something inside the fuel tank, almost as if there was a float or some other free object that strikes the top of the tank from the rapid jolt of the bump. It's not a tremendous sound that sends shudders through the bike, but it's certainly enough to be easily heard. Does anyone have any theories that something besides a loose steering head/bad bearings/shock oil etc... causes this noise?

The clank from the front brake--happens when I apply the brake somewhat abruptly after having applied the brake when rolling in the opposite direction. Example; if I back the bike out of my garage and then use the front brake to stop, the next time I use the front brake (this time in forward motion) it makes a "clank". All bolts are tight so I assume this has something to do with some slop in the floating design?

I had the same sound/problem when i hit a bump it was going right though my bike it turned out to be my gas tank was loose on the end where the seat is and i also check my front one which loose a little too but mainly it was the one near the seat , as far as the brake/rotor clank all my bikes have done that one time or another i think it's the design ..

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 11-04-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Check and tighten the front and rear mounting bolts for the gas tank. My "clank" was the result of not having the rear bolt installed (you can't see it when the seat is on). Put a bolt in, tightened it down and the clank was gone.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Andjh123
Tourer

Interesting...I have checked the front bolts on the tank before (figuring my tank lift install was the culprit), but never checked the rear bolt(s). I will check both tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Andjh123; 11-04-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the torque on your steering head bolt as well. If you haven't done the critical fasteners on your bike...I recommend you do it.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

Also check to see if your jiffy stand is hitting the rubber bumper on the frame , if it's not CLANK!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Like others have stated:

1: Your rear tank bolt is one possible culprit, (I just had to tighten mine last week to solve a clunk).

2: Your Jiffy stand has a rubber bumper that can rotate off center leaving a nice metal space for your jiffy to clank up against.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 11-04-2009, 11:37 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My clank going over bumps was from the fork lock being loose. You can peel the aluminum decal off and tighten it.
My floating front rotor clicks, especially after using the brake rolling backwards.