Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank swap no gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tank swap no gas gauge

hey all. i got a probably silly question which im sure can be answered pretty easy, but just thought id check and see. i just did a tank and fender swap on my 08 fat bob, got everything back together just fine (i think). The only thing that isnt back together are the wires leading from my gas gauge, the gauge isnt hooked up and of course the empty light stays on, i had a couple wires break in the process of trying to get them out of the connector intact, to reinstall after taking the gauge out. Basically now, the bike doesnt start after putting some gas in, just sputters n dies, im assuming the gas gauge is the reason here, i was just going to move it to my shed and thought it would still run. Im headed to the local hd for the new connector end tomorrow but thought Id ask just in case, i dont much feel like tearin back into the tank very bad unless i have to.

silly question but couldnt hurt to ask the pros here!
thanks
naz

Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

i just swapped my tank and the same thing happened although my gas gauge was hooked up... Solution: didnt have "enough" gas in the tank... Youll need at least a half to a full gallon for the pump to prime the first time..
I dont think the fuel gauge not being hooked up has anything to do with it... when you hit the run button can you hear the fuel pump??

Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd vote for more gas.

When I swapped mine, I put about 2 gallons in it. Before I hit the start button, I cycled the fuel pump a few times hoping to get a good prime going. I had to crank it longer than expected, but it did fire up and purr like a kitten...

Since the connectors are giving you problems - you could always bypass them and direct wire/solder/shrink wrap.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

got it ill just add more gas. i like the idea of just soldering and the shrink wrap. Out here I gotta make a 35 mile run just to get to a harley dealership, hate makin trips just for that.

thanks guys for the help
naz

Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

well, interesting. I got it runnin topped off the tank, had some gas at home in the gas can and got it running enough to get it to the gas station and top it off. Problem though, its still sputtering and is really, realllllly doggy and unresponsive, backfiring, etc. The pump does come on ok, Im running a dynojet pc V with a big sucker and my vance and hines 2-2, do you guys think i need to remap this again or something needs resetting? Other than that maybe I didnt get something put back in right. Any thoughts? She does run though but sputtery sputtery and dyin.
thanks!
naz

Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

im also thinking possibly the gas is just bad, it was filled from the gas jug that i keep for the mower as it was all i had to put in at the time, it was bought last may, although the mower always runs good haha

also thinking a reset on the pcv may be in order, other than that I guess something kinked or not in right inside the tank at this point.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

wow im at a loss now. changed my plugs, checked the pcv its where it should be as far as i can tell and sent the map i had just in case.

sputterin, bad idle, wont hardly stay running. guess something inside my tank not together right? anyone have this experience?
im dumbfounded now.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the connection of the fuel line in the tank. How about a lost o-ring?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

yah i decided im gonna have to drain my tank and get back in there. must be something not in right. plus my battery died hahah this is my day oh boy

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

well got it all apart just lookin thru it on the two hoses leading to the black part on the cross over of the tank, ( i know, not the technical terms) i do have a green o ring at the end of one hose connection, but not one in the other. i didnt remember one being there when i took it off, but im betting there are two? i got my service manual out, looking for two on the diagrams

Quick Reply: tank swap no gas gauge