Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank swap no gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ty mud and baese yep ill be crazier by the time this is over with haha. yah there was gas spraying not where the fuel supply line connects, but the line that looks just like it leading from the pump to the center black module clipped to the tank. Its shooting out all around the white end of the hose, from in the module, not from the hose itself, so im guessing something plugged somewheres.

yep i may have kinked or twisted that line and made a hole or something plugged inside somewhere. probably get a new fuel line. the pcv is bone dry but it never gets washed in that area. i remember readin that when i got it to keep it dry. although if this doesnt work, thats next. we shall seeee. hopefully i can just get new hose.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Don't forget about in the link I posted in post #18 https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Fat Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i may have kinked or twisted that line and made a hole or something plugged inside somewhere. probably get a new fuel line.

This is your problem without a doubt. Very easy to mess that line up when removing and installing the fuel pump. If I remember correctly I turned the assembly clockwise to remove and counter to install, had to tilt it around too. I remember I screwed around quite a bit trying to get the fuel pump installed correctly with out damaging anything. I know you have been reading and ya probably saw this but it helped me a lot. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tank-guts.html
While your getting the new fuel line check to see if the stealer has a new plug connector for your fuel gauge. Might be easier. I had to cut, soldier, shrink the wires. Didn't want too, but it works. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Fat Bill
Tourer

****. Also check that green o ring. When you take off the line the o ring comes off. Put it back on the male end and re install. I wanted to say this first. Wish I was there to help ya. I was scared sh!tless when I did mine.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

okie dokie guys thank you bill, yepper i studied that link on the tank guts masc is dang good at puttin together instructions. thank you for the info and link baese also. im on my way to the dealer today to get a line, and im gonna go ahead and get a new connection too. yes i think that fuel line is pluggin. I read on harleyperfomance.com about how the middle black part is the pressure regulator i guess, and it said something about excess fuel being pumped back into the tank, but its just gushing out that end where the pump line goes into it, like it cant go through the other side where the fuel line is. I didnt think it was normal, but that article confused me. Thanks all, ill post when i get it all together. I appreciate everyones help with all my neurotic posts, but when the girl is down, tends to be a crappy feeling and so I just post and ask and post til the mess is over with. Thanks again, will talk to yall soon.
naz

Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Hey all, just a new update. Got the new fuel lines put in on the bike using the submerisible lines and connections instead of my old lines. However, after that, I have the same, exact situation, I was dumbfounded beyond belief. Same idle, sputterin, and the same gas shooting back out from where the line from the pump goes in to the housing connected to the filter.

Just to see what would happen, I disconnected the fuel supply line on the other end and ran the pump. The gas went right through the black plastic housing shooting fine to the other side, yet there was still a trickle coming back out the other end as well. The only other thing I could figure would be something on my quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank, or otherwise I guess Im buying a new fuel pump altogether. I reseated it about 5 times but nothing changed. Something, somewhere must be compromised on the pump itself im guessing but im no expert. Im just dumbfounded but I guess its time to bite the bullet eh?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Fat Bill
Tourer

Odd. Yeah maybe somethings clogged in the quick disconnect or its not seating properly.
Engine sounds like its not getting enough fuel. Your pump might be bad or cracked. Hmmm. I'd check the line through the disconnect from the pump to outside the tank, with air.(blow through it make sure its clear) Maybe you did not have the disconnect on the first time and the pump got wasted. Seems unlikely. Never heard of that. I have heard of guys forgetting to reconnect the disconnect at the tank, and reconnecting it with no problem. I've tried to search and see what a normal pump acts like in the tank, got nothing. I doubt fuel pump is suppost to do what you have posted. I'd check that line through the disconnect to the injectors. Hate to buy a new pump if thats not the problem

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 AM
wes mullen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread, but I probably wont be much help. I will start mine today and look into the tank. I dont think there should be any gas spraying around in there if thats what you are describing but I will let you know.
Just as an aside, i drained mine bone dry and purged the fuel line by disconnecting and rurnning it a sec. It then started right up with only a gallon of premium in the tank. The disconnect was kind of tricky to get reattached.

I did have a similar running situation though. Started to miss bad and sputtter with check engine light coming on after running 5 minutes or so. Turned out to be one of the ECM connectors under the seat corroded, heat dependant. I think water had gotten under there on a long wet tow.

If it wasnt for that spewing or whatever you are describing, i would guess electrical.

wes

Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Yeah its bizarre stuff. I reseated the disconnect. It literally just acts like something is plugged beyond the pump to me, from the naked eye. I put this up earlier, but when I took off my disconnect, not realizing what it was, I was turning the whole thing. When the fuel came out it was coming out under pressure when I was draining the tank, instead of disconnecting that fuel line.

Overnight, at this point im just wondering if that valve had some damage from this. Im calling the dealer today to order the disconnect valve, if the fuel line comes with it, Ill add it back at this point or save it. The pump itself is pumping but could be a crack on it somewhere im not seeing. Im like you guys, would sure hate to shell out the cash for a new pump still. But it may have to happen.

The bike runs for about 30 seconds with what fuel does get through but then sputters and dies after that time period. And then no starting at all, so a little trickles through somewhere but not enough to sustain.

Thank you guys for the help, yah its been bizarre, I was sure the fuel lines would have fixed the problem at this point. Bummer.
naz

Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
wes mullen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"thing. When the fuel came out it was coming out under pressure when I was draining the tank, instead of disconnecting that fuel line"
Where did you drain the fuel from? the cross over fuel line?

Quick Reply: tank swap no gas gauge