Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank swap no gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM
wes mullen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check engine light on?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you let it sit, will it start and ruin? If not, it could be a lack of fuel.

The fuel system could be partially clogged somewhere if, after a period of time, it has enough gas to start and run then die. The system doesn't provide enough fuel once it starts running to keep it running.

Back in the day, if the fuel line was partially clogged, the float bowl would slowly fill up overnight and give it enough gas to get the bike started but then when the bowl emptied, the bike died.

I don't know if the same theory would apply to EFI but there's my 2 cents.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yepper wes, the check engine light comes on as normal and goes off, my empty fuel light stays on all the time (im assuming thats because the gas gauge isnt hooked up still, forgot to mention that light earlier), yah if it sits, it will start although it starts harder after it sits but does run until it wants to star the sputtering again, when it does that, even with throttle open it wants to eventually pop n die.

I will recheck everything on connections, thank you for the extra pump photos and info there baese, I remember those days dg on my 06 sportster, it was carbed instead of efi, definitely had a fill up overnight moment with it.

ok back to the recheckin drawing board, itll be satisfying when this is all resolved though . It did start better today though til the sputtering.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you hook up the bike to the ECM without the PCV just to eliminate that as the problem? Agreed it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, but the PC is an easy test.

I don't know what the symptoms are of a faulty in tank fuel line as I haven't had that problem - yet...

When I installed my tins, I got a new fuel pump assembly to install since I was in there anyway. After a few months, I was having problems with a rough running bike at lower RPM. It was rough cold starting, missed at idle and even died at a few stoplights. But anything on the throttle ran fine. Tried a bunch of things but nothing fixed it. I re-installed the old fuel pump and the bike has never ran better. I'd find it hard to believe that's the problem though - but I didn't/couldn't believe it with mine either...

Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

are the battery connections tight? Just thinking of other possibilities.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

ok all heres the next step. got home here a bit ago, bike barely wantin to start but got it up and idling again. Did something I know I didnt want to do, but had to see just for a second. Towels all around, got the top plate off the tank with things hooked up, spooked big time, but wanted to see if there was any spray from the fuel lines in the tank, saw someone on here with a vrod did this to check. Turned it over, pump started as normal. On the end where the line leads from the filter, to the center black module, there is gas coming out all around the hookup when the bike is idling or i throttle up. As well, when the pump primes when i click on run, gas sprays up and out at that opening. Is it supposed to be doing that or is the pump plugged then? Theres a green o ring for the line leading out the tank to the motor but there wasnt one on the other line going into that module. Did I just lose an o ring basically, or is that extra gas supposed to shoot out at the opening like this?
Thank you all for stickin with me. Im hangin in there.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

battery connections were tight before also. theyre undone while its open again now.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

Before pulling that pcv and checking it with the original computer hooked back up, (its a pain to get off n on), im seeing a lot of stuff on here about pinholes forming in the fuel line in the tank leading from the disconnect, im wondering if i strained the line when i was undoing the nut below the tank, rather than undoing the disconnect my first time, it was making a lot of cracking noises when i was turning it, i may have created a hole somewhere in my line. Saw a good thing about how to test that without pulling the line off on here.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't remember what the hose/connection looked like inside the tank at the quick connect. And if I remember your crazy ***'d post correctly, there was fuel spray where that line connected to the fuel pump. That would be a good place to start with the replacement as it's already in your mind it may be compromised...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by nazareth27
ok all heres the next step. got home here a bit ago, bike barely wantin to start but got it up and idling again. Did something I know I didnt want to do, but had to see just for a second. Towels all around, got the top plate off the tank with things hooked up, spooked big time, but wanted to see if there was any spray from the fuel lines in the tank, saw someone on here with a vrod did this to check. Turned it over, pump started as normal. On the end where the line leads from the filter, to the center black module, there is gas coming out all around the hookup when the bike is idling or i throttle up. As well, when the pump primes when i click on run, gas sprays up and out at that opening. Is it supposed to be doing that or is the pump plugged then? Theres a green o ring for the line leading out the tank to the motor but there wasnt one on the other line going into that module. Did I just lose an o ring basically, or is that extra gas supposed to shoot out at the opening like this?
Thank you all for stickin with me. Im hangin in there.
that's your problem right there

Quick Reply: tank swap no gas gauge