Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank swap no gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

boy im really at a loss now...took it all apart, checked it all, o rings, float, pump, guts everything. put it all back in, even went out, got brand new gas. Hooked up the pcv to the laptop and sent the map again. It runs but its popping, and dying just as before.....any one have this experience? All that was done was i swapped tanks, and my gas gauge isnt connected. Im truly at a loss at this point. And to boot..the bike has always ran flawlessly before the tank change.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

oh also, the fuel pump does run and theres about 2 gallons in it again.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna make a wild suggestion and that's if you washed your bike ,could there be water in the pcV connector? Because wht your describing sounds alot like that. My local HDealer changed a seal for me a few weeks back and decided to wash it down for me and the kid must have sprayed the pcV to OEM connector cause there was a couple tablespoons of water in there.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

I hadnt thought of that, would be another step to troubleshoot. The bike has been washed a few times yepper. The only thing i can think of that might discount that is that the bike was fine as always when i pulled it in to work on it Saturday. My status light is working on the pcv, but it could be something too. Im wondering if a crack i hadnt seen in the fuel line? Just not sure. ugh thank you for the help so far i may retitle this thread to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

another thing i just checked that i wonder if it is the culprit, i reseated the quick disconnect on the fuel line and it snapped down tighter than before at the bottom of the tank. too late at night right now to fire it up to see but will try that tomorrow too.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Odds are - it's going to be something simple and stupid. I was going to say retrace your steps - again. But you may have just found it with the fuel line.

If you are sure everything in the tank is back in order, I'd disconnect the PCV and just try it on the stock ECM. Look for water in the connections.

The 1 spot inside my tank I was iffy on, was the connection from the filter assembly to the pump itself. It's a push-in quick connection that seems a little weak for what it does.

Take your time and a deep breath as you'll probably feel stupid when you find it...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain

hahah i hear ya baseman totally. yah i thought the filter connection or housing was not a very tight fit but it was nice to see where that fuel filter is for future changes. Yeah I think its gonna be something dopey that ive done. When I was taking off the first tank i didnt even read that the fuel line was a quick disconnect and just started undoing it with the wrench and boy did the gas spray.

Ill be checkin over my lunch break. Wish me luck.
naz

Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to sound stupid, but are the plug wires seated? Are you sure you got ALL of the electrical connections snapped back together under the dash/tank? There aren't that many parts involved, but a pain to get back in the tank over and over. You already mentioned the quick connect from the throttle body to the tank, but pop it off the tank and seat it again.

Also, there's some good info here if you suspect the fuel line in the tank
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

It's almost lunch time, what did you find out???

Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

welp, got home at noon, rechecked that fuel line connect seating. fired it up, idled good and started up fine for about 10, 15 seconds, responds on throttle, runs a few more seconds and starts the sputtering again, and then she eventually dies.....do you think i might have gotten a hole in one of those fuel lines inside? i read up and some have had that one happen maybe.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:55 PM
nazareth27
Road Captain

oh it has a couple gallons in it now again also.

Quick Reply: tank swap no gas gauge