Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend rides my FXDBI wants new bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Coyote72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend rides my FXDBI wants new bike

$100 month gets you a brand new Sportster......Warranty, road service plan.....Brand new friggin bike......$3000 will get you stuck on the side of the freeway making you think you should have just went with a new bike.....However, I looked at the Sportster and my buddy who had a 79 sportster (who was always stuck on the side of the road) Said to look at the Dyna's because I will get bored with the sportster....so instead of my original plan.....(Spend a little money on a bike) I got the street Bob after it was all said and done....maybe more money than I wantred to spend but I'm happy... and I will be for quite some time....hopefully never stuck on the side of the road....

Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I have the heart to tell you guys this, but what I was actually asking in my question and what he is after is a dependable Jap cruiser. Like a 1992 Suzuki something or a 94 Kawasaki around 900 to 1100 cc's. Sort of like the fact that there are a lot of old Chevy 4x4's out there with big bodies to bolt on some 40 inch ground hawgs, but if money's tight get a mid 80's model Toyota 4cyl. and go wheelin' all day long with no worries. I've always noticed the number of you who list your old starter bikes and garage kept novelties that you've held on to on your way up to a new Harley. I was wondering which old Jap cruiser might be of the best quality and longevity for a cheap, dependable bike.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Hmmmm.... My '68 Electra Glide never broke down... it constantly marked it's parking spot....LOL... All kidding aside, I got lots of miles with a bunch of HD riders very, very rarely have we have breakdowns... generally it happens when you don't keep up on it... the routine was check your bike after a run.. Then no unpleasant surprizes on the road... I imagine if he could afford a new HD, he'd probaly get one... $100.00 a month is cheap, and would be the way to go... If the guy ain't got the bucks... better to be in the wind with a sportie then nothin'... Just my $.02... CYA... Skee

This post was after yours... So I guess, the sportie is out... I don't know anything about metric cruisers, But, the CYCLE TRADER...has them...

Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

Yeah, he'd rather have a Harley but since metrics depreciate in cost faster while still retaining reliability they are perfect for when you just want to be out on the road.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Bradley
Cruiser

Tell him to look at the Honda Magna 750s. They quit making them a couple of years ago, but they are definitely dependable. I had one for a couple of years and never did anything but routine maintenance. I paid $4000 but it was fairly new. I'm sure he could find a good one for 3000. Its only a 750, but its a V-4 and puts out about 75 horses. Hauls ****! Looks pretty good too. If he has to have a v twin tell him to look at the suzuki intruders. My first bike was an 800 Intruder, that I put about 8000 miles on without a problem. Be careful though, if he gets a Magna he'll embarass you on your bob. lol[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

$3,000 is a nice down payment......on a new 1200C Sporty.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

I was looking to get into the streetbikes and wasn't sure how I'd like it. I have ridden dirt bikes for 30 years and never tried the street.

I bought a brand new 2004 Suzuki Volusia, which is now called a Boulavard C50. It has nice lines and for the money is well worth it. It has some width to it and didn't look small to me compared to the Sportster.

You can get a nice used one for $3000 to $4000 with lots of accessories on it. I don't regret starting out on that bike and it was a lot of fun to customze it.

People think it's a Japanese Fatboy:

Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

Honda Shadows are a good value used if you don't want payments.
My brother-in-law bought one new in 1998 had it two years and bought a Fatboy, it took him 2 years to sell it, had over 3000 miles on it and sold it for around $4000 which was less than 1/2 of what it cost new.
Guy at work has a 750 Shadow I think he picked it up for $3000.

Me, I'll stick to my Superglide.