Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad speed wobble??? Help plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009 | 04:19 PM
deathxgrip
|
Stage I
Default Bad speed wobble??? Help plz

I have a 2000 dyna fxdx. It runs great except, i have this horrible speed wobble that i can't seem to get rid of. I hane spent 2 grand trying to fix it and can't figure out what's wrong!!! I've checked all the regular stuff like motor mounts, shocks, things that could be loose or bad, tires out of balance ,bent rims, i put a fork brace on the front and a special stabilizer under the bike. Nothing has worked.

Just so you can understand what it's doing is let's say your getting on the freeway and speeding up around 80 and above it starts to wobble real bad. It will mellow out a lil... But if you speed up to pass a car or something the wobble comes back.. And if you try and ride at a pace of 95 plus no chance..

So im pretty stuck.. I ride with ppl who always ride at 95 plus so im kinnda screwed right now..i dont wanna have to sell my bike.. Does anyone have any othr ideas? Or maybe has had the same problem? I mean i have heard possibly my frame or swingarm could be bent.. But to the naked eye it doesnt appear that way. So please someone help me!!!

Old 10-31-2009 | 04:29 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior

My bike went in under warranty for a clunk and a wobble. They fixed both by tightening the steering head bearing, and doing a "fall away" adjustment to the front forks.

Old 10-31-2009 | 04:33 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

it does sound more like a front end problem tahn the rear, like beerguz said have you checked the steering head bearing and fall away? the how to should be in the knowledge base.

Old 10-31-2009 | 04:47 PM
lowslider
Stage IV

ihad the same problem on my 06 street bob your rear wheel is out of alinment but all you need to fix it is 1/8 inch welding rod and a o ring look in the manual under rear wheel

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

1. Align front & rear wheels together
2. check steering head bearings for wear & proper torque & fallaway
3. check true on front & rear axle
4. get some dyna beads installed in both tires if you have cast wheels
5. if you have laced wheels true all spokes and balance for 120mph
6. check play in rear swingarm bearing
7. check alignment on front rotor/caliper (are your front brake shoes wearing evenly?)
8. replace front fork oil with 1 grade heavier viscosity
9. verify rake angle and alignment of front fork assembly to factory spec.
10. verify rear swingarm is not bent
11. check all frame mounts.
12. check true on both wheels with tires off the rims
13. inspect tires for seperation on the inside.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 10-31-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2009 | 06:36 PM
spunky_man
Stage I

if there is i clunk in the steering head get it check as they did change the tougue setting some time in the last 3-4 year for the dynas, but don't know if it was all dynas. you said you got a fork brace and stabilizer (i got true track), so you done all you can there. the only thing now is to make sure the bike is in alinment. i did see a video a week ago on alining the dyna, but don't have the link.

Old 10-31-2009 | 06:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I'm also going with a steering head bearing, have a shop check all the bearings in the steering, replace if required, do the fall away test. If its still there then alignment and front tire issue.

Old 11-01-2009 | 12:16 AM
lowslider
Stage IV

the rear wheel has to be aligned to the swing arm or the rear caliper dosn't slide on the mount causing it to drag causing a wobble at 80 mph thair is a 1/8" hohe about 3" in front of the rear axle on both sides use the welding rod bent to fit in the hole and to go past the axle put o ring on rod positioned so it's in the middle of the axle make both sides the same my streetbob did the same thing the dealer tried to fix it and failed so i alinged it like this and know i can peg the speedo and nothing

Old 11-01-2009 | 07:02 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

What kind of wheels do you have?
If you have laced I would certainly go over those. Make sure spoke are tight, and if you have tightened before, check the spoke holes on the hubs, make sure they are not out of round.
What you describe sounds exactly like what I went through every 1500 miles until I got rid of my spokers.

Old 11-01-2009 | 01:10 PM
sgt.tackleberry45
Cruiser

sounds like the swing arm is bent, or the swing arm bushing is screwed up. same thing just happened to my buddy. he couldnt figure it out.

Quick Reply: Bad speed wobble??? Help plz