Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windvest Shield - first impression

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sergeantmajor
way...I had to pull over and take it off.
I want to ask does Windvest work better??
I'm 6 ft tall,do i need the 14 or the 16"?
Depends how much adjustability you have up and down your risers if you use that kind of mount. The shield comes with 3 holes drilled on each side and it takes 2 to mount the shield so you have about an inch of adjustability in the shield and then whatever you have on your risers. The windvest shield is shaped to throw the air up and over instead of just block the wind like the straight up and down HD shields. I'm 6'4" and mine is a 14" shield but I have a low seat, lowered rear end, and quite a bit of adjustability in my risers. I still don't have the shield up as high as I had to keep my HD shield and I get just as good results as I did when I had my HD shield adjusted as best as I could get it.

If you have a low, fixed or relatively limited mounting point, then the size of the shield is a little more critical than if you have some adjustability in the mounting location.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
rjohn61987
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same wind buffeting problem that you describe. I have, and am trying, the WindVest 16" and the 14". Both seem to have the same problem with wind buffeting around the head. I have even raised them high enough so that I have to look thru them which the company says you shouldn't have to do. I'm still looking for their so called "sweet spot" for adjustment. I have tried up, down, and different angles, with no luck yet. Still trying and thinking maybe I just don't like a windshield.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Something's wrong if you have it adjusted that high and wind is still hitting your head. I'm curious if a lot of buffeting complaints aren't just a matter of unrealistic expectations. You are in an open air environment - no windshield is going to keep you from feeling any wind at all. I have my shield adjusted at least 3 to 4 inches below my eye level and I can use my hand and feel the air being routed over top of the shield and just over my head. That doesn't mean I don't still feel some hitting my face and helmet - just not any with any pressure to it that would bother me as far as moving my head around or anything.

As with other components such as tuners, shocks, tires, etc. - I think everyone has different results - but I think a lot of those results are based on different expectations.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the 14", but now firmly believe that HD's should run the 16". Face it, the shields are narrow, hence more side buffeting! For those with the 14", I suggest you try flipping the mounts upside down, this will give added height to the shield. A forward cant seems to be the best for deflection. I didn't clamp my clamps all the way while testing, ride, feel and pull over and move it forward. Once you find the best spot, tighten her down. You want to look just over the top of the shield, not through it! You want the wind to break at about the top of your forehead, hairline. Easy to check, while riding, stick your hand up toward your forehead and feel the wind break. My HD QD works far better than Windvest, it's the shorter model and I clamp it at the top of the fork tube for added height. I didn't like the look of the Std tall one.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
rjohn61987
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, fxdc, you're probably right about expectations. My problem seems to manifest at speed on the interstate(70 plus mph). Below that it's fine.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:35 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjohn61987
Yep, fxdc, you're probably right about expectations. My problem seems to manifest at speed on the interstate(70 plus mph). Below that it's fine.
That's like saying a hurricane feels worse the stronger it gets. It's logical that any shield will have its point of deminishing returns and each type will have a different point. I haven't tried mine at that speed yet. Nearest road to me that is straight enough, cop free enough, or has a speed limit high enough, for sustained 70mph riding is close to an hour in any direction. Still, I usually avoid such roads because I'm usually riding for pleasure and not to get somewhere fast and I, personally, don't get much pleasure out of just cruising at high speeds. With all that said, as long as it's not too cool for comfort outside, I'd just as soon not have a shield at all and have my face and knuckles in the wind. So I guess my expectations are lower with a shield. If I can keep the cold from blowing through my body and off my face and not kick my head around violently, I'm satisified. If I expect it to be like riding in a bubble, I'm probably going to be disappointed everytime.