Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windvest Shield - first impression

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HSB
I didn't like the height of the sheild that came with it so adquired a Cee Baileys Summer Shield for mine it is shorter and has a wider lower profile..
Here is a link to them http://www.ceebaileys.com/windvest/summer_windvest.html
Actually, Bberck included this exact same shield in what I bought from him. It looks very well made but I don't think I'm going to use it. It looks brand new. So, if anyone has a Windvest and wants it, let me know.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:45 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the summer windvest as well. Ilike how it keeps the wind off my chest while providing smooth airflow to my helmet. It never comes off (even in summer)

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy
I run the summer windvest as well. Ilike how it keeps the wind off my chest while providing smooth airflow to my helmet. It never comes off (even in summer)
Well mine is coming off. I actually like the wind when it's warm. I just don't like it when it's cold because it feels like it's blowing right through me no matter what gear I'm wearing.

So, if either one of you guys running the summer shield want a clean as new spare, let me know. No need for me to keep it in a box and never use it.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Got rid of mine for the HD QD! To much side buffeting on the Wind Vest. A little over priced too, but glad I didn't buy mine new! Was able to sell it for what I paid..
I've used the Wind Vest in the past and had the same problem...

I very seldom use a windshield, but when I do it's usually during the winter months when riding in colder temperatures, or sometimes during the summer when on long runs (when the bugs are so thick it's impossible to keep your riding glasses clean)..

On my WideGlide I'm running the HD Compact shield that has been cut down to about 1.5" below my normal eye level when riding, as I don't like looking 'through' a windshield. Even cut down the wind (and bugs) are directed over my head and I get very little side buffeting.

Also, I really like the new quick detachable system that replaces the older setup involving the semi-permanent installation of rubber bushings and hairpin type springs which held the shield in place and offered detachability.

The new system uses four die cast steel clamps which have a camming over-center action that securely locks the shield onto the fork tubes between the triple clamps, and is absolutely rock solid.

When the windshield is removed from my WideGlide (which takes only a couple of seconds) there is no 'mounting hardware' left behind on the bike...

But once again, each to their own.....

Here is a picture of the of the newer 'cam over clamping system', and the windshield mounted on the bike.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Exactly. Like so many other things, what works best for one does not for another. I may run the windvest a little longer and decide it's not so great but, for now, it gets my full endorsement (for whatever that is worth LOL). However, for me, the compact quick detach, which is what I had, was definitely not for me for several reasons and I will not be going back to that under any circumstances. It did the job and was easy on and off but it looked way out of place and was too bulky for my dyna, in my opinion. I didn't complain of buffeting at all like others do. I think that has a lot to do with how it is mounted and adjusted with respect to the riders size and expectations. But I'm not noticing any unusual buffeting from the windvest either and it's much smaller. It has an aero-dynamic shape to it that moves the air out of the way without taking up a lot of room. It's not quick detach but it only takes a couple of minutes to put it on or take it off. But I don't need it to be quick detach if it works and looks pretty good at the same time. I'll just consider it winter riding equipment just like my leather jacket. When the weather gets warm, the shield and the jacket get put away.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:05 PM
swampfox_csa
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 10 Posts

Very, very sharp shield. Kudos to you man.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
HSB
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Well mine is coming off. I actually like the wind when it's warm. I just don't like it when it's cold because it feels like it's blowing right through me no matter what gear I'm wearing.

So, if either one of you guys running the summer shield want a clean as new spare, let me know. No need for me to keep it in a box and never use it.

Is it clear or tinted if its dark tinted I would be....
I'll send you a PM

Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
rjohn61987
Intermediate
Default WindVest Shield

Just put a WindVest on my '06 Dyna Wide Glide. The 14" is $380 and the 16" is $399. You could probably find one on ebay for less.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:58 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HSB
Is it clear or tinted if its dark tinted I would be....
I'll send you a PM
It's the clear version pictured on the website link in the above post. It looks like brand new to me. Bberck said he used it one time I believe. Certainly can't tell it.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 AM
sergeantmajor
Cruiser

I once tried an original H-D windshield on my superglide.It was short,i don't remember the type or the hight. BUT it didn't work for me at all! It sent wind on my helmet in a very annoying way...I had to pull over and take it off.
I want to ask does Windvest work better??
I'm 6 ft tall,do i need the 14 or the 16"?
I don't have experience on windshields so any help is welcome

Quick Reply: Windvest Shield - first impression