Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Street Bob Packed For A Week Long Camping Tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '09 Street Bob Packed For A Week Long Camping Tour

Well, I see the guys over at the Motocampers.com forum with wilder setups than this, but this is the most stuff I’ve ever attempted to haul. I found these bungee straps that seem to be doing a pretty decent job of holding everything on.

If anybody has suggestions on how to make it more secure - I’m all ears. This is for my trip next week touring Arkansas and camping along the way.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

gotta black out those straps.... LOL....

Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at your attachments, there doesn't seem to be much to keep the bags
from migrating to the side and out from under the straps. I have a very different
set up, but I used a number of inexpensive carabiners and draw straps to
clip things to the bike on the sides so that they couldn't shift and work their
way loose.

You might look for an inexpensive cargo net with multiple tie-downs that you
could sling over the bags but under the two straps that you have. That net could
then be fastened on the sides to your rack.

I'd think that a lot of auto parts stores would probably have them.

Have fun!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master

I use a green Alice pack when I go on trips. They hold a buttload of stuff and if you have the rigid rack installed in it you can use it as a back rest.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my bike looking similar last fall; it looked like a pregnant queen bee ready to explode, but was secure, so much for trying to be a minimalist. I need my creature comforts.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Tripwire1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Well, I see the guys over at the Motocampers.com forum with wilder setups than this, but this is the most stuff I’ve ever attempted to haul. I found these bungee straps that seem to be doing a pretty decent job of holding everything on.

If anybody has suggestions on how to make it more secure - I’m all ears. This is for my trip next week touring Arkansas and camping along the way.

How do you like the bikersfriend roll bag?

Old 10-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say, that doesn't look very secure to me at all. That stuff could easily slide out of there, I would think. Do you have something against saddlebags? I would think a fairly inexpensive set of throw-over bags could hold about half that stuff, and you could strap a few items on top of the bags if you needed.

Other than that, it looks like you have the HD quick-detach rack? If so, the same side mounts will hold a sissy bar/rear rack combo, and that would be much more secure, imo.

Mark

Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tripwire1
How do you like the bikersfriend roll bag?
It's actually a 'CruzerRollBag' http://www.users.qwest.net/~swanmana...rRollBags.html

A knockoff of the Biker's Friend and a great deal cheaper. Mine has a small hole in one end cap (tiny). They said they would repair it and reimburse me for the shipping back to them. Seem to stand behind their product.

I have had no other problems with it. It lacks the pockets of a Biker's Friend, but that's no biggie to me.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
I have to say, that doesn't look very secure to me at all. That stuff could easily slide out of there, I would think. Do you have something against saddlebags? I would think a fairly inexpensive set of throw-over bags could hold about half that stuff, and you could strap a few items on top of the bags if you needed.

Other than that, it looks like you have the HD quick-detach rack? If so, the same side mounts will hold a sissy bar/rear rack combo, and that would be much more secure, imo.

Mark
I rode with a very similar setup earlier this year to ROT in Austin (six hours away) and had no problems with only two bungee cords criss crossed.

These bungee straps seem to provide just as secure of a hold. They seem to be biting into the compression sack pretty well and wrapping around my Jetboil and other items in there. Giving it some side to side security. The first thing I did was to push and pull side to side to see and I can just about pick the bike up off the stand pulling on the bags.

I’m probably going to try to weave the straps through the compression sack’s compression straps and run a pair of bungee cords through the tent’s handle strap to keep it from sliding out sideways.

One of those cargo nets may be the ticket, but I’m just not sure how I could hook any more hooks onto that little rack.

I’m not buying saddle bags for a couple trips a year and let $600+ bags sit in a corner of a room the rest of the time. I contemplated saddle bags and couldn’t justify it. My solo rack can carry just about everything I need and is easily removable when I’m done.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

I headed to the majority opinion that I needed a net. Bass Pro Shops happen to have them for $10 - so, I couldn’t pass up trying it out. It works pretty well. I’ve got two bungees on the tent alone, the bungee net, and two bungee straps holding it now. I seriously doubt it’s going anywhere.

Thanks for you input everyone.

Quick Reply: '09 Street Bob Packed For A Week Long Camping Tour