Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise and oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noise and oils

Clayman,
I will be using it for everything. Search the forum for Mobil One and you see several peeps switch from Syn3 to Mobil One V-twin. There was one posting where changing to Mobil One made him a true believer that certain oils do make a difference. Damn oil is expensive though!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
kaduku
Road Captain

I am another true believer that certain oils do make a difference. Just had my 1k service and used Mobil One V-Twin Synthetic oil in all areas. The engine runs so smoothe now and when I shift, no more clunking sound. Really a big difference.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM
clayman
Road Master

Hey kaduku. I think its time for me to do the same, i just got back from a ride and i had to fight it into gear and as it got hotter the clutch began slipping and couldnt get neutral for the life of me. If this is all oil i will be amazed and a true believer also because if it is then this ***** sucks!! Did you have any issues with your clutch slipping.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 AM
kaduku
Road Captain

Clayman,
Never had problem with clutch slipping, but then I never changed the oil to anything else. Just that clunking sound with changing gears, now it's completely smoothe. I predict my engine will run cooler now too! I ended using only 5 quarts @ 10 bucks a quart.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:02 AM
clayman
Road Master

My wifes got a new sporty and its running real hot and noisy so we will be doing hers as well.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master

Here's my 2 cents on engine oil. I was told by an engineer who designs the synthetics for Mobil that there isn't a bit of difference between using their regular oil and the synthetics. One is not better than the other. They promote the synthetics because they can charge more $ for it. It supposedly has an environmental appeal, a technological advancement appeal, a "man improving upon nature" sort of thing. He said that while people talk about regular oils breaking down, it doesn't matter because you change the oil before it gets to that point. He said synthetics don't improve engine life, don't improve gas mileage, don't improve performance. Now this is a guy who works for Mobil, designs their products and tests them inside and out and he's saying there's no difference. He also used regular oil in his vehicles.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 AM
kaduku
Road Captain

My dad worked and retired with Mobil and they (every employee that I met) used Mobil One. They all swear to it's superiority. I would use it first before listening to someone else. I felt the difference today and thats all I know. It is also well documented from USERS on this forum that it has made a difference. You can choose regular oil and if you're satisfied with it with your very expensive investment, then thats fine. I like expensive stuff and I like using the best stuff, no matter how much they cost, because thats just me, but I really felt a difference today with the Mobil One V-Twin oil. Maybe it's just me and maybe you won't feel what I feel. You cannot give your 2 cents if you've never tried it. Just very funny that this guy designed this stuff, but puts regular oil in his car. Doesn't make sense. Does he put Valvoline or Castrol?

Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bruinx9

So i heard something very interesting from a buddy of mine that builds choppers. Do Not use fully synthetic oils in your HD engine due to the roller bearings inside the engine. The Syn oils are too slippery and will not allow you roller bearings to "roll" thereby causing them to flat spot.
This is a lie that Harley started when they did not sell synthetic oil. Then when they started selling synthetic they had to change their story. The Harley syn 3 has just the right amount of friction to all the bearings to turn.

This is a load of crap. Any true mechanic worth a damn will tell you so.

Do you think that this guy would use synthetic in his cars if it did that. http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/products.php

I tried Syn 3 at the 1000mi. It made my Low Rider sound like rocks in a prince albert can.

I use Mobile V-Twin in the engine and primary and Mobile Synthetic 75/90 gear oil into the tranny.