Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDC tank console mod - ideas, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FXDC tank console mod - ideas, thoughts?

Probably sounds silly but one of my favorite things on my bike has always been the #1 medallion in the console strap of my FXDC. On the other hand, I'm sick with the chrome addiction. So, I'm thinking about getting one of these:

But I'd like to see if I can cleanly remove the medallion from the stock strap and add it back to the chrome extension. But I don't want it to look cheesy. Any thoughts or ideas from some of you industrious types?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
cadmonkey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the strap leather and the medallion metal (or metallized plastic?)? And what is the console actually constructed of? If it's a cast metal with some thickness to it, then - and assuming my assumptions didn't make an @$$ of me - I'd probably cut the medallion out of the leather strap and remove the backing from it, then machine a circular pocket into the console, carefully to not chip the chrome (unless you want to strip it and have it rechromed), and glue the medallion into the console.

This assumes you have access to a mill or someone who can do that for you (I have my own benchtop so I am looking to make as many custom parts as I can come up with). It's a bit of a small job to try and get done, but a machine shop that is really slow might take the work. It'd be some nice attention to detail and certainly custom.

My 1½¢ (inflation's a b!%@#) - YMMV

Greg

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Cadmonkey, that would probably look good if done properly. I don't have the dash extension yet but I'm betting, knowing the moco, it isn't solid metal at all. The factory strap is leather or at least some pleather-like substance and the medallion appears to be metal but could be plastic. I won't know until I go to try to remove it. It's fairly thin but, if simply glued to the new chrome piece, it will be raised and I'm just not sure how it's gonna look. I guess I could mock it up without gluing it, when I get everything and post some pix and see what others think and if anyone can come up with something better than that.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that would look good. Any idea on where you would actually place it? If it was me I would stick it right over the little bar & shield. One thing I noticed is you get a lot of reflection in your face with that dash extension! If you mess up the #1 medallion let me know I have one here laying around.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM
cadmonkey
Intermediate

Hmm - probably right - it could be that the console is a simple stamped steel piece that is chromed so there'd be no thickness - they get the strength from the bends and then it is more flexible to conform to the tank than a cast piece would be. Hmm...I'll keep brainstorming...

Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by red devil
I think that would look good. Any idea on where you would actually place it? If it was me I would stick it right over the little bar & shield. One thing I noticed is you get a lot of reflection in your face with that dash extension! If you mess up the #1 medallion let me know I have one here laying around.
Yeh, that's where I was thinking about putting it. Don't want a whole line of logos going down the dash.

If you have one, can you tell me if it's metal or plastic and how easily it came off and did it require any significant cleanup?

As far as the glare, I can imagine. I already get a lot from my console anyway. But I always wear very good glasses that seal around my eyes so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

Actually the peice in your picture is plastic.
I have it on my tank.
It looks fine.

The little # 1 sign is thin metal.

Dash extension
71282-04
Fits '04-'08 FXDWG, '06 FXD35 and '07-later FXDC models.

Last edited by Wireguided; 10-20-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 AM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you found a way to remove the stock medallion ?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by miami
Have you found a way to remove the stock medallion ?
If it's metal, it won't be a problem. I haven't done it yet. If it's plastic, just have to be more careful. Unless it looks like it will cooperate with peeling it off with the help of a craft knife or something, I will probably cut the entire circle from the tank strap and then work the backing off from there.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2007fxdc, you had me guessing what it was made out of so I went ahead and took it off the leather panel. Be careful because it is a very thin piece of aluminum and will bend pretty easy. I slid a utility knife underneath and sawed back & forth until it came off. The back of the medallion is actually foam.

Quick Reply: FXDC tank console mod - ideas, thoughts?