Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibility of changing mid controls to forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Billyboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibility of changing mid controls to forward controls

Hey guys,

My brother and I went for a long ride today and he said he'd like to have the forward mounted controls rather than the mid controls that are on his 2004 FXDX. Is it possible to change that, or should he just look for a bike that has the forward controls already? If anyone has done it, how difficult is it and what parts are needed to do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 PM
subculture08
Tourer
Default RE: Possibility of changing mid controls to forward controls

Forward Control Kit for Dynaâ„¢ Models
49080-03
Fits '93-'05 Dynaâ„¢ models. Stock on '03-'05 FXDWG models. (Not compatible with Engine Guard on FXD and FXDL models.)

Old 07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For anything pre-2006, it is a straight forward bolt-on operation. With the kit in hand, it should take under 2 hrs. if you are at all mechanically inclined. The directions are pretty easy to follow, if you get stuck post here and one of us who has already done this will help out. You will notice a major improvement in comfort.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Billyboy
Intermediate

Awesome. You guys rock!

Bill

Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 AM
king1
4th Gear

I have a 99fxdx and I installed them in about 90 min!!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:44 AM
superdog48
Tourer

I have them on mine. I installed them on my 04 FXD and then I removed them to install on my 06 FXDCI. As written before if you are machanicly able you can do it by reading the instructions.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

2 options.....

1. Buy the forward peg kit. This basically keeps your mid controls, but puts a set of pegs in the forward position. The '05 and older Low Riders came with these. So once you're on the highway you can put your feet up.

2. Forward Control kit. I got the forward control kit, and it's pretty straight forward. When taking the shifting arm off of the pin, be careful, so as to not scratch the chrome, i.e. put a rag between the cover and the screwdriver, pry bar! I ended up replacing my cover because of this! The factory forward control kit, is the factory Wide Glide setup except the mounts are chromed instead of black krinkle. I've heard alot of people complain about the quality of the facotry pieces, and look at after market sets, like Kuryakyn, etc., but I bought the factory set, and the quality is fine to me!

Be forewarned! It will take some getting used to riding it with forwards if you have been riding with mids for any period of time....

joe

Old 07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep the mid's and get the forward peg kit. My pervious bike had forward controls and I never did adjust to them, particulary in the twisties.

You have better control with the mids and more options for moving your legs on long runs (If you get the forward pegs)

Old 07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

put forwards on mine and love them i would not have it any other way but i am also 6 foot tall so the mid controls where not working for me at all .

Old 07-12-2006, 04:21 AM
denjaydenden
Stage I

I know the question "Should I or shouldn"t I install my own forward controls" has been discused alot.

My problem is the dealers close to me are booked 4-6 wks ahead and I work out of town for weeks at a time and never know till the last minute when I'm going to be home. So I think it's up to me to install these controls.

I have a 06 FXDLI, I have the forward control kit.

I have never worked on a bike before, but have worked on a lot of equipment...motors,trannies,diffs,hydraulics.

What I was wondering if anyone out there has did one before and let me know what to expect or what surprizes are behind the primary cover. I just don't want to pull off the cover and have a couple springs fly out at me.

I bought the bike in mid May and by June 2 had 2500 km(1500m) on the bike. Already did stage1 kit with SE slip ons....with alot more to come

Quick Reply: Possibility of changing mid controls to forward controls