Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 10mm Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon5
Anyone find any increased performance with these wires, or are they just for looks? I'm thinking about a set myself.
Red is the fastest color!

Actually purely for looks. I have red pin striping on the tank, so I use red for trim items like valve stem covers. Red trim ring on my Kury hand grips.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey all.. I googled SE plug wires after reading this and was looking for some knowledge.. 7mm came up.. 8mm 10mm.. Can you tell me how this adds benefit to a bike? how does the diameter of the ignition wires benefit? thanks..
I have an 07 dyna SB... btw... what should I be looking for? thanks
J.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM
zrx4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a zip tie also on the horn,but went to a speed parts store and ordered a taylor cable wire clip set in red to clip the 2 wires together like stock. Looks super neat.They come in a few colors and the part # for 10mm wire is 42829.Cost me $12.99,but prolly cheaper if you order online from summit or somebody.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by jousley
Hey all.. I googled SE plug wires after reading this and was looking for some knowledge.. 7mm came up.. 8mm 10mm.. Can you tell me how this adds benefit to a bike? how does the diameter of the ignition wires benefit? thanks..
I have an 07 dyna SB... btw... what should I be looking for? thanks
J.

Pretty sure the thicker wire is purely for looks.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
txrarebear
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle wires

2007 fxdc
Just run by any H/D Dealer and pick you up a couple of part number 10177 plug in cable ties.
Install them loosely on the wires so you can position the wires away from the horn cover bracket and the fuel line.
They plug in to the holes in the top of the horn bracket and support the wires better than a regular tie without letting the wire rub on the bracket.
After you get the wires positioned away from everything that will rub, just snug the cable just a little bit so as not to strangle the wires, cut off the excess tie and you will be all set.
Just make sure the loop that the wires go through are as far outboard on the coil bracket instead of to the inside of that bracket.
I have these same red wires on mine and have had no problems.
These plug in cable ties do work better than a regular cable tie in my opinion.
Just my .02 worth.
txrarebear

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Attaching to the horn bracket:
Get four tie wraps, put the head of one tie wrap facing down under your front cylinder ignition wire, loop the pig tail around the top of the wire and insert it into the head of the tie wrap, snug the tie wrap in such a way that the wire is snug but still can slide through the tie wrap. Get another tie wrap and do the same thing.

Now insert the tie wrap pig tails through the top holes in your horn bracket, get two more tie wraps and cut the pig tails off of them (maybe leave a 1/4" on). Now take those two tie wrap heads and slip them up on the two pig tails that are going through the bracket, snug it up and cut off the pig tails.

Connecting wire to wire:
Use one large tie wrap and cut it to the length of the outside edge of the two wires you are connecting together, use a small bit soldering iron to poke to small holes by the inside edge of the two wires, connect the two wires together using two small tie wraps, see below:

Screamin Eagle 8mm

Screamin Eagle 10mm

Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 AM
bundy bruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read something a while ago about not running leads together and next to conductive metals....not sure, but if you buy a SE set of leads you would expect a holder to seperate the leads.
could you use a rough metal file to open up the original lead clip.

you can get higher quality 10mm leads at any good parts place

Last edited by bundy bruiser; 10-20-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:05 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just don't ziptie 'em too tight and cut off the circulation! Performance ....naw they just conduct electricity that feeds the spark plug to ignite the gas. It be like which is better to light your passed out freind's hair on fire a zippo a bic lighter or a match?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Just don't ziptie 'em too tight and cut off the circulation! Performance ....naw they just conduct electricity that feeds the spark plug to ignite the gas. It be like which is better to light your passed out freind's hair on fire a zippo a bic lighter or a match?
the zippo of course.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Just make sure your not rubbing on the fuel line! I checked mine after having them on for about a year and sure enough they started to wear on the fuel line!

Quick Reply: SE 10mm Plug Wires