Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2010 Bucket of Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
As soon as you make the switch to Lyndalls, you'll wish you had gone with something else or just stuck with the stock pads. The Lyndalls don't work any better, and they are noisy as hell (squeal like crazy). At best, they *might* cut down some amount of brake dust. The only real advantage Lyndalls offer over OEM pads, is they allow you to spend more money.
Interesting. I haven't tried the Lyndalls but I've heard nothing but good about the Z+ pads. On my bagger I went with the EBC Double H Sintered and they work great - even with the single piston rear caliper.

Originally Posted by reded
Actually Harleys are kinda crappy built. Look at the hardware for example. It looks like it was built using the spare bolt bins lying around at my local small town hardware store. You damn near need to empty out your toolbox just to get anything done while wrenching on it. You can completely disassemble/reassemble a jap bike using a phillips screwdriver, along with an 8, 10, 12 and 14mm wrench set. I have yet to figure out why they feel the need to use so many different types of hardware and fasteners. For the money, I wouldn't mind a little chrome on a few of those oddball bolts either. Come on, just an odd collection of galvanized bolts? Thats classy!
There's some truth in what you're saying but HD's are more for purists. If someone wants something that goes faster, is lighter, costs less, or a number of other qualities then another brand would be better for that rider.

I've ridden many different brands of motorcycles but I've never had a better feel and gotten more pure unadulterated pleasure then with any of the 8 HD's I've owned over the years.

Having said that; I wouldn't rule out a Victory as an addition to my stable sometime in the future.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stew-boy
FXDB/I Street Bob

Seriously, why does HD sell new bikes with such crappy parts?
I'd be more interested in why you bought a bike that you thought was crappy?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,285 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Splatter
I'd be more interested in why you bought a bike that you thought was crappy?
LOL...I was thinkin' the same thing.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Interesting. I haven't tried the Lyndalls but I've heard nothing but good about the Z+ pads. On my bagger I went with the EBC Double H Sintered and they work great - even with the single piston rear caliper.
Yeah. I went with the Z+ pads, because it seemed they got good reviews from everyone. As soon as I started a thread on here to say they were crap, there were a whole lot of responses saying they had similar experiences. I'll try the EBC's next time.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,710 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Rode my share of overseas motorcyles, when I got on the back of my first HD there was a whole different feeling while riding. Sure they vibrated and sometimes something would fall off, but motorists in the vans and mom mobiles stilled admired the Harley. If you don't have the passion or patience for these bikes then go to another brand, it won't bother me.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
RogerDC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Rode my share of overseas motorcyles, when I got on the back of my first HD there was a whole different feeling while riding. Sure they vibrated and sometimes something would fall off, but motorists in the vans and mom mobiles stilled admired the Harley. If you don't have the passion or patience for these bikes then go to another brand, it won't bother me.
Well said. All the bikes I've ever owned were fun, but the only ones that ever made me grin like an idiot and feel like the king of the road were my 91 Fat Boy and my 09 Fat Bob. And I really don't mind making my own improvements.....maybe HD puts a crappy A/C on the bikes because they know that most of the stock ones end up on the trash heap anyway. Also, HD does make CVO bikes if you don't feel like upgrading on your own. Any Dyna at less that 15k base MSRP is a total bargain in my book. Or you can spend almost the same for a Honda cruiser and wonder why the Harley riders look so happy as they're riding by. And please don't be jealous of all the attention we get; everyone knows a Harley has the same effect on most women as puppies do, if you get my drift....

Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
billjoat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by reded
Actually Harleys are kinda crappy built. Look at the hardware for example. It looks like it was built using the spare bolt bins lying around at my local small town hardware store. You damn near need to empty out your toolbox just to get anything done while wrenching on it. You can completely disassemble/reassemble a jap bike using a phillips screwdriver, along with an 8, 10, 12 and 14mm wrench set. I have yet to figure out why they feel the need to use so many different types of hardware and fasteners. For the money, I wouldn't mind a little chrome on a few of those oddball bolts either. Come on, just an odd collection of galvanized bolts? Thats classy!

The suspension is THE cheapest stuff that Showa makes. The stock air filter lets as much dirt through as it keeps out, may as well be a screen. As far as the chrome, well, I haven't seen the chrome fall off of too many of those plastic bikes either, and when it does it damn sure wont rust.

All of this for $15-20,000 and we keep on buying.

And you own a harley because.......?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM
RogerDC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Xpatman77
This is all I hear about Harley! I agree, I always liked the name and the image that came with Harley, BUT come on here! Do you want to spend 15-20,000 on an American image??? Just to look cool! I own two metric motorcycles, one is a supersport racer and the other is a 2010 Honda Fury. I have never had any problems! Other then oil changes, I have never had any problems. Harley Davidson is a huge name and they have made billions of dollars since they have been in business, if they cant produce a motorcycle by now that is problem free, without parts falling off as you ride down the road, they need to start over and come up with a new and improved product. Do you now see why each and every time you look on the back of something, It never says made in the USA. Thats sad! Im a freakin proud American too, but Im not just gonna buy junk with my hard earned money to support my country.
I think you might be in the wrong forum....this one is for Harley Davidson people. You might be looking for the rice burner forum. And you totally missed the point. I have owned many metrics and sport bikes. Harleys FEEL better. I can't say why exactly, but they make most of us very happy to own and ride them. Problem-free is not the goal here. I will take the hot redhead with the great rack with all her problems over the bland average chick even if she is perfect in every other way....taste is individual. Or maybe it is because it's American iron...either way, most metric riders I know either wish they had a Harley or end up trading for one. I hope you're not here trolling for some justification for riding what you ride, because that would be just, well....sad. And you don't see many Harley guys on the rice burner forums insulting the rides.....I'm happy you guys are out there. It just makes us look even better.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 PM
billjoat
Cruiser

This is all I hear about Harley! I agree, I always liked the name and the image that came with Harley, BUT come on here! Do you want to spend 15-20,000 on an American image??? Just to look cool! I own two metric motorcycles, one is a supersport racer and the other is a 2010 Honda Fury. I have never had any problems! Other then oil changes, I have never had any problems. Harley Davidson is a huge name and they have made billions of dollars since they have been in business, if they cant produce a motorcycle by now that is problem free, without parts falling off as you ride down the road, they need to start over and come up with a new and improved product. Do you now see why each and every time you look on the back of something, It never says made in the USA. Thats sad! Im a freakin proud American too, but Im not just gonna buy junk with my hard earned money to support my country.

So you've made 3 comments today about why your honda is so superior to the harley; on a harley forum no less. Whats the matter, can't get an intelligent conversation going on the honda forum due to the stupidity of the teeny boppers? You've had harley's and now have a honda, seem to be proud of it, so just leave; we don't want you around here raining on our parade. At least not mine. I decided I wanted a little change in my life , so I bought my first harley. I also decided that angry, upset people including yourself; if I don't get back to you anymore on the topic, are part of the change as well.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I own two metric motorcycles, one is a supersport racer and the other is a 2010 Honda Fury. I have never had any problems! Other then oil changes, I have never had any problems.
You have a 2010 Fury that you've owned for several months now and you've *never* had any problems? That's amazing!

I've owned many metrics in my life. I don't own any of them now, and I'd be willing to bet none of them are still on the road (or dirt).

Harley Davidson is a huge name and they have made billions of dollars since they have been in business, if they cant produce a motorcycle by now that is problem free, without parts falling off as you ride down the road, they need to start over and come up with a new and improved product.
Well, I can't speak for prior to 2002, but, it seems they managed to make my 02 WG as problem free as any metric I've owned, and I've never had any parts fall off it - riding down the road or anywhere else.

Do you have a crack habit?

Im a freakin proud American too, but Im not just gonna buy junk with my hard earned money to support my country.
Do you know where your crack is manufactured?

Quick Reply: New 2010 Bucket of Bolts