Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...yna-pic-s.html

ISSUE

Member Lama is in the process of modding his 2007 FXDC into a club style or thug style bike (known today as outlaw bikes) Asks members to provide inspiration and post pictures of their own bikes. Members show off their bikes.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cant help you on the dash but a lot of different vendors sell poly urethane bushings that have a higher durometer rating than rubber so you get a lot less flex. Poly also seems to be more consistent when torqueing. Only downside Ive noticed is that since poly is harder than rubber it tends to transmit vibrations a bit more.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 AM
akara1
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

FNG here. First Harley, rode sport bikes for years. Guess my bike fits in here.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,042 Likes on 659 Posts

man those are some tall *** bars

Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish883
To continue pushing the thread away from debates on the look and shitty scam-crews from LA... Has anyone successfully "de-dashed" their bike? I mean completely gone. Move the ignition back to the side of the frame, speedo back to the bars, etc? This is on my future to-do list, but I don't even know where to start or if it's even worth the trouble and cost.

The "polar vortex" has been hitting even us here in Texas and we have had far too many days in the low 40s and 30s so the days we do get in the 60s and 70s I care about nothing but getting at least 100 miles in. That being the case I haven't been putting much wrench time in since I have no garage and the cold days aren't fun to be ef'ing around with metal, but I am planning on doing some exploratory disassembly in the near future to look into this more.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on quality riser bushings? I don't like the play in the stocks bushings, and my right one seems to have more play so my bars are actually sitting like 1/8th of an inch closer to me on that side. To most it isn't even noticeable, but I am definitely aware of it and even if it has no real effect on the ride, it pisses me off on principle alone.
You should still consider yourself lucky, a day in the 30s is a heat wave around here. Put about 30 miles on in the teens a couple days ago.

Not sure how you'd eliminate the dash. The fuel tank canopy that holds the pump assembly and everything is on top of the tank under the dash, it would still have to be covered with something.

I always use drag specialties urethane bushings. They work great and they're like $10. Sometimes they still don't really tighten up so I always cut or grind about an 1/8" off the metal spacers that go inside the bushings. They always seem a little too long on dynas. This allows them to compress a little more and really tighten up. They make solid aluminum bushings also which work awesome but they're not cheap.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
speedkills66
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Whats the best source for mag wheels to replace the spokes that came stock?
Used and then retrofit as necessary?
Or is there somewhere out there that sells them?
I've searched the google and the only new wheels I find are far too gaudy or ghetto looking for my taste.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by akara1
FNG here. First Harley, rode sport bikes for years. Guess my bike fits in here.
Interesting...it came like that new? Looks like at least one dealer can spot a demand signal.

Originally Posted by vdop
You should still consider yourself lucky, a day in the 30s is a heat wave around here. Put about 30 miles on in the teens a couple days ago.

Not sure how you'd eliminate the dash. The fuel tank canopy that holds the pump assembly and everything is on top of the tank under the dash, it would still have to be covered with something.

I always use drag specialties urethane bushings. They work great and they're like $10. Sometimes they still don't really tighten up so I always cut or grind about an 1/8" off the metal spacers that go inside the bushings. They always seem a little too long on dynas. This allows them to compress a little more and really tighten up. They make solid aluminum bushings also which work awesome but they're not cheap.
I had the same issue with Ness poly bushings. The spacer was too long. I just reused the stock spacer. Do they not know how thick the upper tree is?

Originally Posted by speedkills66
Whats the best source for mag wheels to replace the spokes that came stock?
Used and then retrofit as necessary?
Or is there somewhere out there that sells them?
I've searched the google and the only new wheels I find are far too gaudy or ghetto looking for my taste.
HD's mags are pretty affordable new. Here's what I did with their slotted 6-spoke wheels:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...oss-black.html

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 PM
akara1
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by misfitJason
man those are some tall *** bars
It's actually not as bad as it looks. I thought I would change to lower bars but so far I like it.

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Interesting...it came like that new? Looks like at least one dealer can spot a demand signal.
It did. Got it from Glendale Harley. I was between the Street Bob and this sweet Forty Eight they did too.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM
DMonty
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Akara1,

You made the right choice.

Squid,

I've seen a lot of dealers in Colorado with 1/4 fairings and Tbars...of course the salesman call them SOA bikes.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish883
To continue pushing the thread away from debates on the look and shitty scam-crews from LA... Has anyone successfully "de-dashed" their bike? I mean completely gone. Move the ignition back to the side of the frame, speedo back to the bars, etc? This is on my future to-do list, but I don't even know where to start or if it's even worth the trouble and cost.
The "polar vortex" has been hitting even us here in Texas and we have had far too many days in the low 40s and 30s so the days we do get in the 60s and 70s I care about nothing but getting at least 100 miles in. That being the case I haven't been putting much wrench time in since I have no garage and the cold days aren't fun to be ef'ing around with metal, but I am planning on doing some exploratory disassembly in the near future to look into this more.

Also, anyone have any recommendations on quality riser bushings? I don't like the play in the stocks bushings, and my right one seems to have more play so my bars are actually sitting like 1/8th of an inch closer to me on that side. To most it isn't even noticeable, but I am definitely aware of it and even if it has no real effect on the ride, it pisses me off on principle alone.
Just go with solid bushings. If you're gonna go through the trouble of switching them do it once and forget about it. The increase in vibes is negligible in my experience. Especially with rubber mounted bikes. My frame mount sporty does give me a bit more "feedback" through the bars with the solids but nothing unbearable.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shiftace
Just go with solid bushings. If you're gonna go through the trouble of switching them do it once and forget about it. The increase in vibes is negligible in my experience. Especially with rubber mounted bikes. My frame mount sporty does give me a bit more "feedback" through the bars with the solids but nothing unbearable.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of doing just that.

Originally Posted by vdop

I have no car so I'm out riding no matter the weather. My only exception is icey road conditions, which has actually been happening the past few weeks, but yeah...

Appreciate the info on the bushings and the dash. I know there is a channel under there where stuff "lives" so I would definitely be replacing the cover with some sort of flat piece, but I've yet to actually find any which is more or less the source of the question on "de-dashing". Moving the ignition and speedo shouldn't be much of an issue at all, but getting a new dash cover that sits flush with the tank might be.

Originally Posted by akara1
It did. Got it from Glendale Harley. I was between the Street Bob and this sweet Forty Eight they did too.
I don't mean to pry, and you definitely don't have to answer this, but curiosity is getting the best of me.

1. Did the dealer advertise it as an "SoA" bike? Based on my experience with my local dealers and how they react to my bike, I could definitely see them marketing it that way.

2. What kind of markup did they have on it? I know my experiences have been that they take the cost of the part and labor, add several hundred, and call it a day, so I'm just really curious.

Regardless of any of the above, nice looking scoot and welcome to the family.

Quick Reply: Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's