Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...yna-pic-s.html

ISSUE

Member Lama is in the process of modding his 2007 FXDC into a club style or thug style bike (known today as outlaw bikes) Asks members to provide inspiration and post pictures of their own bikes. Members show off their bikes.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:41 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Home run for the Nemo guy! Your last two posts should be "Stickies!"

Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Some very well said points and Nemo said it amazingly well. My outlook broke down like this: the base lowrider is bathed in Chrome which I would've spent time and money changing. The s also gives a 110, cruise, abs, and the front suspension upgrade is significant all for not really much more money when you break it all down. The rear shocks work very well. I'm sure I'll change them to taller ones. I'll probably never have ohlins or works on the bike but I know my limits and budget. The seat will be changed eventually but it does its job of holding you in place. All in all the bike has more of a cafe feel to me than club style when you are on it riding. This bike like all harleys is not a one size fits all and not a one ride pleases all but it is a very good bang for the buck to start off with.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:45 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 492 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by rs1250xl
What height are those risers?
8 inchers. Made by Biltwell

Old 11-28-2016, 07:09 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
You've got a point, but there's so much to change on the S that it kinda negates what the MoCo was trying to do...

That little cafe fairing does nothing but add to the look. Solo seat gotta go, chopped rear fender's gotta go, shocks are too short, stock exhaust gotta go, bars too low, etc...

I still think that there is enough to change to make it "club/thug/purpose built/your favorite adjective here" style. It's a great starting point but not the style we want from the factory, IMO.

Part of why I went with the standard low rider - the bigger motor just wasn't enough of a tradeoff for the price difference and everything else I was going to have to change to make it what I want.
DK, I saw that you have some of those Bung King shock risers in your sig, have you put them on yet? I need to go back and look at your pics.

How much difference did they make to the ride? I would think it would help the handling to balance the bike out more.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:15 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
You have a good point and I will drag it down the street. Harley hit pretty close to the mark on the LRS. But I think if you distill it down to basics, you have fashion, and you have function. SOA is fashion, black out, T bars, and quarter fairings. Function is suspension, tires, brakes, chassis stabilizers, alignment, and horsepower. If its not function, it's fashion...
Corporate designs are fashion, the base models are a blank canvas, do your own thing it's good for the soul.
The missing link is the rider... One size does not fit all, I keep seeing the same cockpit positioning for guys from 5'6" to over 6'2", 14 inch T bars don't work for everyone.
Doing your own thing is a Harley-Davidson tradition, I'm not telling anyone not to go down the "Club Style" road, what I am saying is think about how you ride and where you ride and adjust accordingly. Lead don't follow, it's a club tradition.

: Mike
That's a great post Mike! I agree with that you said, but I couldn't have put it out there as well.

On instagram you see so many of these bikes and they all do sort of blend together. I think that's also the purpose to some point as it makes it hard to ID a certain bike/rider in certain situations. No face, no case as the saying goes.

But, for most of us, it is about making the bike the best we can for ourselves.

I'm not saying that I'm getting tired of the look, I could stare at these bikes all day and find something cool on each one, but it's cool to see some obvious differences as well.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I am happy with how the Road Rage 3 pipes (I matched with the 117") are coloring up and help tie the wheel color in. "There is no replacement for displacement." Can't go wrong with 128.8 foot pounds of torque.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 11-28-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 AM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SquishyLowRider
DK, I saw that you have some of those Bung King shock risers in your sig, have you put them on yet? I need to go back and look at your pics.

How much difference did they make to the ride? I would think it would help the handling to balance the bike out more.
Honestly, at the end of the day I'm still running the stock shocks, but they definitely give it a little more cornering clearance and a better stance. For the money they are worth it until I can afford to actually upgrade the shocks.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If you look at function, the LRS comes close, but there are some "fashion" pieces that look to me like the MoCo just slapped some existing parts on a Street Bob. and called it a day. Don't get me wrong, if I were buying a bike today, the S would probably be the way I'd go.

I can't fully speak for the fairing, but given that my HD quarter fairing just barley gets the job done, I will feel safe in assuming that the 1/4 of a quarter fairing they put on there doesn't do much. The chopped fender vs a full fender is nothing more than a fashion statement really. Although, have a look at my sig picture, and its obvious that I prefer the look of the full fender. Seat wise, the MoCo actually got the job done on the LRS.... Sure, it's not two up, but the biggest reason I hear in favor of swapping seats is one, back support (looks to have a decent amount) and two, overall comfort. Again, can't speak on the overall comfort and function of that seat, but it looks like a world better than the $h!t solo seat (cinderblock) that HD put on the FXDB.

If the idea of "thug style" is for comfort, function, and performance, the MoCo isn't far off. Dual front brakes, mags, cruise control, further forward controls, decent suspension, and a 110 ci motor is a very nice starting platform. Seat, pipe, and bars is in my opinion, something that should almost always have the owners input.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
Honestly, at the end of the day I'm still running the stock shocks, but they definitely give it a little more cornering clearance and a better stance. For the money they are worth it until I can afford to actually upgrade the shocks.
Makes sense. My Hagons are their cheapest model. They seem to not be as good as they were when I first got them. I probably could have gotten away with the the Bung King extensions too.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed and all good posts. What I was subtly hinting at was: how soon before we get a bunch of stock S photos every other day around here.

But hell, if I could afford it that's probably what I'd go with, although there's a plethora of changes I'd make.

Quick Reply: Thug Style / Club Style Dyna pic's