Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
hard aground
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting without the clutch

Hypothetically, if your clutch fails for some reason while out on the road, does anyone know how these modern Dyna tranys react to shifting by just using throttle control to switch gears ? How many gears can you safely go through ?

I know getting into 1rst would be interesting but wondered if you could nurse your bike home without grinding off too many teeth in the process.

This could be good information in an emergency.......

Years ago we drove around in VW Beetles often not using the clutch at all, for no good reason of course, other than we were young and rebellious.
Thanks guys for any input.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
cadmonkey
Intermediate

I know my '99, while no spring chicken for sure, handles it alright - yeah first would be tricky - but I managed to roll the sweet spot on the throttle ok and it just slipped into gear on the way up, a little more of a sudden insertion on the way down but I didn't worry me any. One of the first things I did when I rode it home was see how the bike handled a few different "Oh s#!%" scenarios.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done that quite often on my 07 streetbob...obviously with clutch on take off but clutchless changes can be done..its a matter of knowing the bike and actually how to do it..not a newbie thing.... if my clutch cable broke out on a ride I'de get home so long as I did'nt hit traffic lights etc

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but on your VW you were pulling the stick out of gear into neutral, increasing revs and then dropping it into the next gear as the reves were falling.

Can't do that on a cycle as there is no neutral between gears.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Topspin
Yes but on your VW you were pulling the stick out of gear into neutral, increasing revs and then dropping it into the next gear as the reves were falling.

Can't do that on a cycle as there is no neutral between gears.
???????????? oh yes you can.... with practice.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by hard aground
Hypothetically, if your clutch fails for some reason while out on the road, does anyone know how these modern Dyna tranys react to shifting by just using throttle control to switch gears ? How many gears can you safely go through ?
It will do fine, but I would only do it as an emergency. I hear tell that the shifter forks in the newer bikes are not that robust. But if you get your rpms right, shifting is no problem... up or down. Starting out would be a problem....

Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You just have to start it in gear to get going. Really blows my mind these don't have a neutral safety switch! Well.....either they don't or mine has never worked.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It's actually very easy to shift without the clutch, all you have to do is match RPM to the gears, in others words...To upshift ease off the throttle as you gently shift, when the speed and RPM match it will go into gear.
To downshift you rev the motor slightly until it slides into the lower gear. Even first is not difficult once you figure out how to match gears. This why blipping the throttle is a regular occurrence when downshifting, even with a clutch for a lot of riders. It's not just trying to be cool, it helps the gears match.
Only problem is if you have to come to a complete stop, but if you are driving ahead that too can often be overcome.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

as archer said only in emerg. otherwise why do it just for kicks? I don't find it helps the shift go any faster.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Derv
Tourer

Sequential gearboxes of the type found in bikes work differently to manual car 'boxes. Going up the box usually isn't a problem, it's simply a case of take the revs up and then close the throttle keeping a slight pressure on the shifter pedal and it'll pop up a gear when the revs match.

Coming down the box is a bit more tricky because there's no neutral that you have to pass through where the revs of motor and 'box can be matched so it requires a lot of practice which can result in bent selector forks. If you really must change gear without using the clutch, save it for upchanges and be aware of the damage you can do on downchanges when you get it wrong.

Derv

Last edited by Derv; 10-16-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Quick Reply: shifting without the clutch