Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy in germany with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Guy in germany with questions

I've been creeping around the site for about a year and I'm waiting on my bob now, they are telling me delivery sometime in late July early August. I'm military in Germany and was hoping one of the other riders here could let me know what to expect when I go to pick up my bike. Is there anything I need to buy now rather than later, such as the license bracket for that huge plate? The second question is kind of out there, I saw an air cooler a while back that had little fans attached to it to pull air over it when the bike wasn't moving. I've read everything I could find on the pros/cons of installing a cooler but what do you consider a normal operating temperature? I found one harley site that said they wanted their (MoCo) oil to be between 200-240 degrees, and if it wasn't at least 200 degrees the oil wouldn't be able to do it's job at 100 %. If the answer has been posted already then I just missed it I guess, thanks for the help, love the forum.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New Guy in germany with questions

Never a bad idea to install an oil cooler in the hotter climates plus running a good synthetic oil combine to keep engine temps under control. Bike is otherwise good to go from the day of delivery but doing the stage one (alip ons, Air cleaner) and getting a good performance tune makes the bike more enjoyable.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 PM
FlatBlackBob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure where you are stationed in Germany, but if you are in, or near K-town then you may not have to buy a larger plate bracket. There is a sign shop somewhere near the Toys R Us in K-town that can make exact replicas of license plates, only the size of a US motorcycle plate. I never had one made for my Triumph but a friend of mine had one on his Kaw and never had any trouble w/ the SPs or Polezei. The only thing you will have to do is figure out how to get your pinwheel stickers off of your original USAEUR plate without destroying them and then get them to stick to your new plate. Maybe double bubble or super glue will work just fine.

One other thing I would suggest buying for over there is a good map. I used to ride quite often there and once you get rolling on those beautiful country roads and start hitting village after village you will end up having no idea where you are and unless you speak German, (which I didn't) you may have a hard time figuring out how to get back home. It happened to me a couple of times. I left Landstuhl for a quick ride and about two hours later I ended up 36 Km from Bitche France, with absolutly no idea how to get back. I ended up on 270, because that was the only road that I knew went back to where I wanted to go. I just didn't realize how long it was and 2 hours later I finally ran a cross something I knew. Which wouldn't have been a bad thing except for the fact that I forgot my walllet at home and didn't even have money for gas when I started to run out.

I wish I would have had my HD over there I am sure I would have done a lot more riding. You will love the Bob. I have not had any problems with mine thus far and it handles real well.

Keeep the rubber side down and watch the wet leaves everywhere when the fall come. Ride safe.

Tchuss

Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gidday, welcome to the HDForums from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
cliffd
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Where you at in Deutschland ? I was in Bamberg back in the 70's.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I'm here, I'm in Stuttgart. Just got word from the dealer that my bike is in, should be able to pick it up on friday. Can't wait, the riding year here is pretty short, well it's short compared to Texas anyway, feel like I'm losing time.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
streetbobhans
Cruiser

I think the first thing you want to replace is the exhaust. Congrats with your bob, it's a great bike.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:32 PM
ronster
Road Master

buy new pipes.