Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boattail for '06

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boattail for '06

I've got an '06 35th Anniversary Superglide, and I've done as much as possible to recreate the original '71 look. The only thing I can't seem to find is an aftermarket boattail rear fender. If anyone has an aftermarket source, please post. Yes, I know that I could get a bobtail, and I've though about it. Still, I'd prefer a boattail if I can find one.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Boattail for '06

ORIGINAL: Hound Dog 1

I've got an '06 35th Anniversary Superglide, and I've done as much as possible to recreate the original '71 look. The only thing I can't seem to find is an aftermarket boattail rear fender. If anyone has an aftermarket source, please post. Yes, I know that I could get a bobtail, and I've though about it. Still, I'd prefer a boattail if I can find one.
Lets see some pics!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:48 PM
shmikeynyc
Novice

please let us know what mods you did I've been wanting to do that to my fxd35

Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=52 is this what your looking for, the seat?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the love of God man please don't.The boat tail was possibly the ugliest tail section ever put on a motorcycle.There's a reason you can't find any of them.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Bear64
Banned

its true they were ugly looking and not much better then a board to sit on for long rides, it was the first thing that I got rid of on my black 1971 FX I think I got a after market fender for it from some long gone after market shop in St. louis, did a lot of mods to it befor it was all done, but that boattail seat went right into the trash, so sad cause they get high dollar for them now, if you can find them..there is a club of all 1971 superglide riders but darn if I can find anything about them..I met them about 3 years ago up here at the swap meet..[sm=biker.gif]

Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
klagair
Advanced

The boys are right, HD made a big mistake with the boattail, I think it first came out in 70 / 71 and lasted two years, what a f###k up Harley made of that. Sales were down and a bad impression was installed within the group. Stick with what you have. that is my 2 cents worth. I have the 06 FXDI35 and was even contemplating doing an over stock with 4 inch tubes and a 21 inch front spinner...what a bad thought that was after realising what I have. That scooter will be worth $$$$$ down the track as it is, as you bought it. I have made slight alterations to mine but have kept all the original parts. My best bet as with yours is to purchase another scooter and play with that, mmmmmmmmmm $$$$$$$, dreaming again, but that is the reality.
Have a nice day, enjoy the reality.
All the best, and let us know how it all works out.

Kevin
The boy from OZ

Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

A bobtail looks good on them , I've seen one painted to match the anniversary theme

Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad HD did not replicate the boat-tail but it would have been nice to include one as a free accessory along with the factory rear fender.

I'm very pleased with my FXDI35 and think it really captures the spirit of the early-mid 70's bikes.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. I'm still working on posting photos, and I'll get one up as soon as possible. Most of the folks I've talked to who have a memory of the '71 Superglide are HORRIFIED I'd put a boattail on my '06. I sense that theme here. It would have been nice for Harley to offer an optional boattail, but I expect the engineering or manufacture would have cost a fortune. I'm looking into a bobtail now. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Boattail for '06