Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Dyan Standard OTD for 11,800?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
13frain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look like the worst deal in the world and I think now is the best time to buy. The showrooms get flooded in the spring with all the people that have cabin fever and want to get a bike and go out and ride.
But Harley has had 8 quarters of declining sales and maybe will add more incentives .In fact they are really pushing the unions for major concessions at York and are threatening to move the plant if the union is not willing to cut benefits. Who knows. But who knows where interest rates will be next spring.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Again, thanks for the feedback all.

@traveler

I hear you and your words aren't falling on deaf ears. Thanks for the reality check. Right now this is urge to upsize is all internal and no one has been pushing me or knocking my Sporty. In the boating world we would call my affliction "boat fever" or 3-foot-itis. However, my rational thoughts for making the upsize would be as follows: I want to trick out an accessorize my ride. Bike accessories are generally bought for yourself and you never see a whole lot of money back on that investment. Therefore, I don't want to spend money on a bike that won't be around for the long term. Will the Sporty? I like it, it pulls my 245# heft around pretty good,it looks good, sounds good, so I have no complaints. But that Dyna just moved me effortlessly. I was doing 60 and it just rumbled at a nice low RPM and wind was not pushing me around. It just felt like a more sturdy ride that I can accessorize with less fear of wanting more bike a year or two down the line.

OTOH, I like my Sporty too and it is cheaper to own. This upsize is not a necessity. If everyone replied that it was an OK deal that you'll see anytime, then it's a nonstarter. However, if people were thinking this is a good deal, one you don't see too often, and if I'm to make this move then buy now when the market is down, don't wait for it to go back up. Then, well, I gots some thinking to do.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

@Delmarksman

Hey, glad to meet another DE. I'm actually up north. Our two closest are Mike's Famous place and a small outfit up in Chadds Ford (Hannums). Nice to have two dealers so close, parts and supplies are almost always around and fun places to ride to when kicking around. Good to hear your getting back out on the ride. Will look for your thread for details.

Again, thanks all!

Originally Posted by traveler
MY .02

Keep the sporty, pay it off, and ride cheap.

The DYNA is nice, but if you already liek the bike you have, why switch?

Frankly, there are too many guys out there saying "trade up" from a sporty....with the fuel injection and rubber mounted engine, sporties are a completely different animal then they were prior to 2004.

If you just have to have the DYNA, then do it, but IF IT WERE ME, I'd keep the sporty, and enjoy the heck out of it, and tell the nay-sayers to F-OFF!

~Joe

Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through the exact same thing. Keep the sporty with my upgrades and ride cheap (relatively - smaller payments) or trade in and start over ???

After about my 3rd trip to the dealer. My wife is actually the one that said - just do it.

The term OTD can be misleading - the ticket on my bike was 13,990 with security and aluminum "smoothy" rims. Neither one I wanted but the dealer said - thats how the bike is packaged (it was a 2009 and I did want the gray engine). Anyway, 12,500 but then add freight, set-up, CA emissions, doc fee, etc, etc ....... and good ol' state tax at 8.75%

Bottom line - I'm breakin in a 2009 St.Bob

Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 AM
ndfi78
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can make a suggestion, negotiate the price of the bike first before you talk about the trade in value. Once you are comfortable with that price, then talk about the trade in. You should view them as two separate transactions. One way the dealer will try and get you is to drop the price on the bike and make it up on the trade in or vice versa.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
DelRider
Cruiser

@ndfi78 Good advice, thanks. Unfortunately, in this situation, we are pretty regular return customers. Both my wife and I bought our bikes from the same salesman. So when I walk in, it's like "Hey! How's the wife and kids? How's the bike doing? Do we need to look at anything?" So when I brought up upsizing he immediately knew I was trading in Which is cool. I really believe into building relationships even at a slight premium.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 PM
DelRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Delmarksman
Good luck either way, let us know what you decide to do.
Well, I decided to pull the trigger

Sorta ...

I wanted to go a low as possible, and we could not agree on a price (a trade is involved here, so numbers are wonky). The dealership had and 09 on the floor and we COULD get the numbers to work on that one. So this afternoon I picked up my new 09 Dyna Standard!

What a difference! I loved my Sporty, I REALLY love the ride of this Dyna; a whole new feeling. The dealership is 5 miles from my house. The OD read 54 when I got home. I just kept taking turn after turn figuring out how I could prolong the trip. I did not want to get off the bike. Now winter is on the horizon. Looks likes I am buying some Under Armor

Thanks again all.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

SOOOO what your wind up paying for the 09? really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with the deal. enjoy the new ride!!!! I got my fxdc for msrp 13645.00 otd in july, back in feb-march they wanted 15,508 otd yea i waited and lost most of the summer but i got 2000miles on it now and love it. and yes i will be nuying some cold riding gear

Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not buy a slightly used 2009 or 2008? There are literally hundreds of big twin Dynas with less than 3,000 miles on them being advertised everywhere from coast to coast. You can probably get something for close to $10,000 from a motivated seller (since you're not in a rush). Then you can sell your Sportster yourself and you'll come out way ahead. I live in NJ and 1-3 year old big twin Dynas with 5,000 miles or less, are a dime a dozen for some reason.