Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windvest on bobber

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 AM
makoshark333
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windvest on bobber

I put a windvest on my streetbob bagger - LOL. I have set it up in line w/ the forks but find the wind ratteling my helmet. Since it's pouring and I'm not riding in anymore storms less I have to, what the best way to adjust it? Should I push (angle) the top out a bit or raise it? It looks like it has one more hole in the shield above the bracket. I am not sure how many are hidden under the bracket. I can also reverse the "P" clamp so that the leg is on top instead of the bottom as shown in the directions. Oh, I'm 5'-9"....almost and I have the standard 14 x14. Thanks, [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] MAko

Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: windvest on bobber

why on a bobber?

Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
makoshark333
Cruiser

Cause for long trips with lots of rain and a half helmet, I have pussed out in my old age. Something about creature comforts for the long haul! Mako

Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Adjust the height til you can still easily see over the top. You probably need to move the shield up one inch,that's all the adjustment you have. Keep tilting the top forward til the helmet buffeting goes away, probably forward an inch and a half when measured at the top of the arc. Once you get it adjusted you'll still have plenty of wind hitting you but the buffeting will go away. A tank lift helps, seems to direct more air down instead of up and over the tank and right into your nostrils. A small windshield bag at the base of the shield also blocks of some of the wind.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: makoshark333

Cause for long trips with lots of rain and a half helmet, I have pussed out in my old age. Something about creature comforts for the long haul! Mako
Me too, and on the coast if you're gonna ride at nite the bugs are thicker than rain and I can't even imagine how much fun it wouldn't be to ride for hours at a time at 80 or 85 without some kinda windshield.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 PM
makoshark333
Cruiser

The shield sits kinda low....probably around my neck height. Took short spin b/t the rain and it buffeted my helmet but nothing in my face. To adjust the height, do I turn the P-brackets so the leg is on the top? Also. the winsheild cross bar is mounted and there is a plug in a hole above it. If I use that hole it will drop the shield. It almost looks like it's on it'slowest setting unless there is another hole under the mounting plate. Do you think rotating it out is the answer and what is the effect if too far out. I never road w/ a sheild b/4. What is a tank lift? Mako

Old 06-27-2006, 12:25 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windvest is fine, i have a detachable low for my wide glide. Its off all the time unless I am going on an extended interstate cruise. Don't feel bad...some guy was just asking for a detachable fairing for the bobber ROFL.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:39 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, the leg should be on top. Mine is adjusted up one inch and there is one hole exposed which I covered with the little chrome plug that comes with the windshield.. Sounds like yours is already adjusted up. Take it apart,you can tell.

Once you get it installed correctly, just loosen the allen bolts on the part that clamps to the bars and push forwars a little bit, tighten her back down, ride and adjust til you get the best adjustment for you.

Tank lift moves the front of the tank up to a max of three inches with a home made, or purchased kit. Do a search,there's a million posts on it.

Good Luck

Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/8936/0E7ECBC1844A460D9CD82A394567B17B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2006, 01:06 PM
makoshark333
Cruiser

cool, thanks bro. I assume mine is at the top or I should say bottom holes. I figured I would put the leg on the top to get height but wasn't sure what other's did. Any reasons for a tank lift??? Looks??? Mako

Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah,I like the looks of the tank lifted,but it also makes it a lot easier to clean the top of the engine and seems to help the air flow by directing the wind down instead of up and over the tank into your face.

Quick Reply: windvest on bobber