Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Cruise RPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
I typically don't get much above 75mph unless I am passing someone. So I have not had to deal with this question but it has always been in the back of my mind.

What is the RPM limit for these TC 96''s for a long cruise?

Say I am wanting to burn up the miles out on a desert Hiway, from one gas stop to the next. What RPM limit is my motor going to like?

I know short accelerations don't matter much, right up to the rev limiter, but I can't imagine holding it at 5K+ for any length of time. Where can I hold it all day without stressing the motor?

Steve
RPM limit is ~5250 unless you have a fuel management device with a 'rev extend' feature enabled, which would then top out at around 6200rpm.

Not sure how to answer the question regarding "what rpm does my motor like". It's more of where do you like it.

These motors aren't weak. I mean the basic design is over 100 yrs old. That must account for something, right?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
crepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I opened up the throttle all the way, I imagine the rev limiter will kick in eventually. The question is how long will it take for it to turn on? and how will I know the rev limiter is on? just curious.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

6 speed here . .did a 400 mile day about a month ago where we ran 80-82mph for pretty much the whole trip. Didn't feel stressed at all . . .actually in 6th about as slow as I can ride comfortable is 65mph and that's on flat ground.

FWIW

Old 10-10-2009, 03:43 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crepe
If I opened up the throttle all the way, I imagine the rev limiter will kick in eventually. The question is how long will it take for it to turn on? and how will I know the rev limiter is on? just curious.
You'll know it because the motor will throttle down, sudden like. When you let go of the twist grip it will let you begin accelerating again, once it is below max rpm.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Harley engines are 'over engineered' and can run all day long at 5,000 RPM.

For what it's worth, the notes I have dealing with the WideGlides show 3,227 RPM's at 75 MPH for the 5-speed models, and 2,859 RPM's at 75 MPH for the 6-speeds.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM
mszedx9
4th Gear
Cool Top Cruise

As long as you stay off the rev limiter you should be able to cruise well above 4000 rpm. I have a 2002 Suzuki gsxr 750 that me and my team mate endurance race. the races are 4 hours and the bike runs at or near redline (13,000 rpm) pretty much the whole time. we have 7 races on the bike, and it is bone stock except for exhaust and suspension, we did a compression leak down test at the end of last year's season. It was 3% which I thought was amazing.
Modern engine are pretty damn tough. As long as you don't mind a speeding ticket or three, find your desert highway put it at ninety and roll.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I hear you, but he said What RPM is going to hurt the bike, in effect. My impression is it is pretty hard to hurt the bike but the police may hurt the rider's wallet if he rides it faster than 75 mph.
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone but he (yso191) IS the police!

Originally Posted by crepe
On a related note, how long can I keep the throttle fully open before 1) the oft talked about rev limiter kicks in, and 2) I'm damaging the bike?
The rev limiter is there to keep you from damaging the engine.

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
You'll know it because the motor will throttle down, sudden like. When you let go of the twist grip it will let you begin accelerating again, once it is below max rpm.
+1 massive power loss until you get belowe the RPM range where it turns on.

Hi-jack time......Steve, did you make it by Owens today for their event? They've been on the radio down here a fair amount since Shumate went kaput.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
yso191
Club Member

Rick,

No my day was filled with work oriented stuff - and babysitting. Were you there? Man if you ever get up this way be sure to let me know (& geezer for that matter). It would have been a good day for a ride though. Maybe Monday since I'm taking the day off.

Steve

Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read through this thread and didn't see anyone actually answer the OP's question.

The answer is simple enough. You can ride all day at wide open throttle on the EFI bikes. Hopefully the rev limiter is set to 6k rpm. You can can actually ride WOT in 3rd if you want for a while but I'm not sure if there would be enough air flow to keep the engine cool enough at that speed.

Of course you may only get 20 mpg and the local LEO's may have something to say about it but that wasn't your question.

What hurts the engine is hole shots and hard braking without pulling in the clutch.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fendrix
Shoulda bought a Low Rider!

At 75mph in 6th gear you have nothing to worry about as far as hitting 5000 rpm. You're closer to 3500 rpm. Well within the power band and no risk of any damage other than 75 mph bugs in the teeth.
Very Very well put answer,the subject should have been locked after that. All except the biased lowrider comment! heeheeheee........my six speed is the same. Don't they still hot test these beasty engines in 120 degree / full open throttle conditions just to make sure some eager numb-skulls (like me) won't be blowing the engines on new,warranteed bikes anyway?

Last edited by maddghost; 10-11-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Top Cruise RPM