Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Mount License Plate Bracket 2010 Dyna Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:19 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Side Mount License Plate Bracket 2010 Dyna Wide Glide

I see on the Harley Davidson website that the 2010 Dyna Wide Glide has a side mount license plate bracket. I love it.

I want to buy that bracket and install it on my '09 Steet Bob. Has anybody done that? Can it be done?

I looked at a Heartland bracket, but they wanted over $200. I wonder how much Harley wants for theirs.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM
CQCBlades
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
I see on the Harley Davidson website that the 2010 Dyna Wide Glide has a side mount license plate bracket. I love it.

I want to buy that bracket and install it on my '09 Steet Bob. Has anybody done that? Can it be done?

I looked at a Heartland bracket, but they wanted over $200. I wonder how much Harley wants for theirs.
I think there was one for sale in the classifieds not too long ago.

Greg

Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In order to use it you have to weld a tab onto the frame strut rail to screw the license frame bracket into. really should not be a big deal except getting a good finish on your exposed rail. I was also contemplating it along with shaving the tail lamp and going with he run/stop/turn set up.
CB

Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold one for $25 shipped...or was it $20?

Either way...I think you might be better off buying an aftermarket side mount (many options, but a few $30-50 with LED's built in) and make your own bracket. Your old bracket off your 09's tail light is perfect to cut up. I made two vertical side mounts out of my old bracket. Seen here:

IMHO, the factory side mount is bulky, HUGE and doesn't flow well with it mounted on the strut. The above poster is right too, you would to weld on a tab for it to "bolt" on. A big pain for little gain..however YMMV!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's what I got that I think looks a lot better then the HD one. It's like $26 to the door. I bolted mine to the rear bolt of the upper belt guard. It's made to go on the axle, but I didn't like it there. There are several different models so choose what you like.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ROAD-6-C...&submit=Search

Last edited by JaronB; 10-04-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JaronB
I bolted mine to the rear bolt of the upper belt guard.
That is a really good looking bike and the bracket fits right in. As soon as I finish my saddle project, I'll start the bracket project. (I've got a one track mind. One thing at a time.)

Does the "FAMOUS POTATOES" refer to the sound of the Harley exhaust, or does it have something to do with the state of Idaho?
Will they ticket you if you paint over that?
(Just kidding. I can blame it on Monday morning and riding to work in the rain.)

Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,285 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Hey Don, just thought I'd mention in TX, the plate has to be lit at night to be legal...I know a few guys that were hassled by LEO's(and ticketed) for not having a light on their liscense plate bracket.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
That is a really good looking bike and the bracket fits right in. As soon as I finish my saddle project, I'll start the bracket project. (I've got a one track mind. One thing at a time.)

Does the "FAMOUS POTATOES" refer to the sound of the Harley exhaust, or does it have something to do with the state of Idaho?
Will they ticket you if you paint over that?
(Just kidding. I can blame it on Monday morning and riding to work in the rain.)
I just shoot them out of the exhaust!! I volunteered to come out here to bring the wife and kid closer to her parents. I swear it wasn't my choice!!

As someone mentioned about the light. Some have used license plate LED bolts. I know there is a frame with a LED bar built in. What I was thinking of doing if I got hassled out here in potato land was drilling a hole in the bottom of the left turn sig and insert a single LED.

Oh yea one more thing about potatoes. I've been out here for 1.5 yrs and have yet to see a bag of Idaho potatoes here in Idaho stores!!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBRob
Hey Don, just thought I'd mention in TX, the plate has to be lit at night to be legal.
I sort of figured that was the case. Years ago I got pulled over by the League City police for driving a Suburban with no light on the plate. (Wire plug had come undone. Just a warning that time.) Thinking back to that encounter, I figured they wouldn't allow a motorcycle to go without a license plate light.

Bone11B posted this solution, complete with photos.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ight-done.html

I've been saving up for this one, but I had to solve my Butt Bruiser 350 problem first. (And that's costing me a lot more money.)

Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine cost less than $40 to do. Then you can mod your rear tail light to get rid of the ugly bracket!

Quick Reply: Side Mount License Plate Bracket 2010 Dyna Wide Glide