Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Mount License Plate Bracket 2010 Dyna Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
The custom roll bag strapped to your solo rack looks somewhat similar to my Iron Rider overnight bag strapped to my solo rack.

For me, the tour pack solution dosn't work. I remove the solo bag from the rack everyday I ride to the office (like 5 days per week) and carry it with all my papers, laptop computer, calculater, rain jacket, and stuff up to my office. It wouldn't look right carrying the tour pack into the office. I didn't see any carry handle on it.

For 9 hours per day, my cool looking Street Bob sits out in the parking lot for all to see. When attached, the luggage bag or tour pack makes the bike look like it has a "bump on its butt". You might have guessed I bought the Street Bob for its looks and performance, not its luggage and passenger carrying capability.

Another few years when I am too old to ride a motorcycle, I'll buy a Honda GoldWing with all the passenger and tour pack amenities built in.

I hope I haven't offended any "Wingers" that might be lurking around these H-D Forums.
Yea I know what you mean and I was the same way, but the purpose of it being detachable isn't to bring it into the office. I put my gym bag and paperwork in it and take it out when I get to the office. I'm not worried about the flash because with it on my bike still gets commented on. When I worry about flash is when I'm winning car/bike shows which is why it's all detachable. During the week its convenience for work. When I have nothing to take to work or going on just a ride I take it all off in 30 secs and I have nothing on the back fender which IMO looks better then a permanent rack if looks is what you're going for. Not to hound you, but if you're worried about looking like the cool guy be careful with them straps because they will rub the black right off and scratch the **** out of your chrome!! Look at my roll bag, it's strapped to the rack not the lights and shock mounts. No straps or bags touch the bike.

Last edited by JaronB; 10-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaronB
I have nothing on the back fender which IMO looks better then a permanent rack if look is what you're going for.
The dealer didn't have a snap-on vivid black solo rack for my '09 Street Bob when I bought it, so I went with the permanent. I don't even know if the vivid black snap-on is available.

I could swap my permanent mount solo rack for snap-on. But the rack will still stay on the bike, so why bother? It wouldn't look right walking down the hall with my Iron Rider luggage bag in one hand and a vivid black solo rack in the other. It's all a matter of logistics.

Now if the luggage bag strapped direct to the fender without the rack, that would be ideal, but then the paint on the fender gets wore out.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

The dealer didn't have a snap-on vivid black solo rack for my '09 Street Bob when I bought it, so I went with the permanent. I don't even know if the vivid black snap-on is available.

I could swap my permanent mount solo rack for snap-on. But the rack will still stay on the bike, so why bother? It wouldn't look right walking down the hall with my Iron Rider luggage bag in one hand and a vivid black solo rack in the other. It's all a matter of logistics.

Now if the luggage bag strapped direct to the fender without the rack, that would be ideal, but then the paint on the fender gets wore out.
I don't know about your bag, but min has a firm bottom. the straps are on the front and back of the bag and strap it straight down on the front and rear edge of the rack. My motherwell only clears the fender by maybe a half inch and the bag, straps or clips don't touch my bike. The only scratch on my rear fender is when I used a bungee and it slipped out of my hand and of course the 1mm piece of exposed metal is what hit my bike. Now they are all wrapped in rubber. Luckily it's small enough nobody notices it, but I still know it's there. With the Kury roll bag on their strapped to the rack it self it's rock solid. I've had it full and it has built in d rings and had to strap my laptop bag with laptop in it to the top and it worked great. Scary at first cause of the weight and the motherwell not all that stable, but it survived and didn't budge.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Oh and no the detachable doesn't come in vivid black, people just get them powdered. I wanted black too, but I heard the rigids rub the fender, so I didn't want to go that route, then came the motherwell and now the detachable tour pack!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billjoat
It was a tough job. How dificult is it to remove the wheel and get it all back right?
It took me 3 hours to install the fixed mount solo rack. There was no wire removal, but one has to be careful when the tail lights are dangling loose by their wires. It is also critical to snap the wire harnesses into the clips on the inside of the fender upon reassembly, otherwise the wires will drag on the tire (which is very bad).

Dropping the rear wheel is not as bad as removing it. The shocks have to be unbolted which allows enough installation clearance without removing the wheel. (The belt stays on the sprocket as I recall.) The bike has to be supported on a jack, or you will have difficulty dropping the wheel.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
billjoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropping the rear wheel is not as bad as removing it. The shocks have to be unbolted which allows enough installation clearance without removing the wheel. (The belt stays on the sprocket as I recall.) The bike has to be supported on a jack, or you will have difficulty dropping the wheel.

Well hell, I think the install instructions I have for the saddlebags say I have to disconnect the shocks anyway. Is this all that has to be done to drop the wheel? If so, then hell, I'm there!!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JaronB
Oh and no the detachable doesn't come in vivid black, people just get them powdered. I wanted black too, but I heard the rigids rub the fender, so I didn't want to go that route, then came the motherwell and now the detachable tour pack!
Looking at the rigid and detachable solo racks on the H-D web, I can't see any structural difference except the method of mounting to the frame. I don't know where you got the "rigids rub the fender" info from, but I don't see it with my install.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

The detachable version is $100 more when you add the required docking hardware. ($40 extra for the rack and $60 for the docking kit). And as you mentioned, it is only in chrome. How much $ to powder coat it? And of course the powder coat is always going to chip off at the docking fittings. Maybe that's why Harley doesn't offer a vivid black detachable.

Nice concept, but does not work for me.

With respect to the motherwell, is it supported only by the rear fender? I couldn't make out any connection to the frame from the forum photos or from their website.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billjoat
Is this all that has to be done to drop the wheel? If so, then hell, I'm there!!
That's the whole enchilada.

To put it in jive talk terms:

You be there bro!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

I might not have mentioned that the Iron Rider luggage bag is not waterproof. They supply a rain cover for it. I used it today on the way home from the office. The luggage bag arrived home drier than me.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Looking at the rigid and detachable solo racks on the H-D web, I can't see any structural difference except the method of mounting to the frame. I don't know where you got the "rigids rub the fender" info from, but I don't see it with my install.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

The detachable version is $100 more when you add the required docking hardware. ($40 extra for the rack and $60 for the docking kit). And as you mentioned, it is only in chrome. How much $ to powder coat it? And of course the powder coat is always going to chip off at the docking fittings. Maybe that's why Harley doesn't offer a vivid black detachable.

Nice concept, but does not work for me.

With respect to the motherwell, is it supported only by the rear fender? I couldn't make out any connection to the frame from the forum photos or from their website.

The detachable attaches to the outside of the rear struts and the rigid mounts to the inside of the struts. That's why they rub. As for the money you will always have to pay for convenience.

The Motherwell attaches to the mounting screw for the solo and where the screw goes for the 2 up seat. So no attachment to the frame. It doesn't support much weight and I wouldn't recommend it for your purpose. It was a lessons learned for me. It's great for what fits in my roll back, but close to 10lbs gets wobbly. That's why I went with the tour pack. Lucky my rain cover for the kury was waterproof, but the tour pack is definitely waterproof without any rain cover.

Quick Reply: Side Mount License Plate Bracket 2010 Dyna Wide Glide