Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want rid of my black headlight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
rickdesign
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want rid of my black headlight!

I have an 09 FXDC, lots of standard chrome, and I can't believe the MC put this stupid black headlight bucket on there. Not only that, they don't offer a chrome one in their endless list of "we want more money" items. I've seen others here that have replaced it with a fatboy light, and it looks great. Is it a real pain in the buttocks area to do it? Do you have to transfer the wiring from the old light? Remove the gas tank?

I'm really tired of looking at this black headlight butt.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you can get a chrome bucket off a lowrider/wideglide. Just get PN from dealer or zanottis. Buy from zanottis to get it for 20% less than your dealer will charge.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a bucket from a Wide Glide if the guts from your current light will fit inside we can work something out.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdesign
I have an 09 FXDC, lots of standard chrome, and I can't believe the MC put this stupid black headlight bucket on there. Not only that, they don't offer a chrome one in their endless list of "we want more money" items. I've seen others here that have replaced it with a fatboy light, and it looks great. Is it a real pain in the buttocks area to do it? Do you have to transfer the wiring from the old light? Remove the gas tank?

hey rick get the part number for the lowrider or the wdg bucket its the same bucket but chrome, just make sure it holds the 5-3/4 light and while your changing the guts put a sylvania silverlight bulb in there besst 20.00 you will spend on the bike. jackyl

Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call Eastern Performance Cycles 410-451-5181. I bought a really nice chrome headlight, the whole thing, not just a cover from the stealership. This light is quality and under $100. Check 'em out. I like mine.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

Black is the new chrome.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdesign

If you go with the Fatboy light, you will need to cut out your windshield to fit it.... which is no problem. Yes, you can use your existing wiring if you wish... I did on mine... takes a little patience to remove the harness from the bike and the stock headlight housing... but can be done.

If you decide on the Fatboy light, let me know... I'll post ya the thread I did on cutting the windshield.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
billycouldride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was able to swap out my light without removing the tank. i did however take out the front tank bolt to lift the tank a bit to give me some more room to work. there is a plastic cover that snaps into the bottom of the top frame tube. inside there is the wiring harness for the headlight. i was able to fish it ouf the front hole on the frame after removing the rubber gasket that protects the wires/calbes that are run through there. it wasnt a tough job at all.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser

So can you go bigger than 5 3/4 headlight??

Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny's World
Black is the new chrome.
you know what they say.....

Quick Reply: I want rid of my black headlight!