Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences Between Sportster 1200 and Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to buy a Sportster but I noticed that most of them I saw were being ridden by girls. It kind of put me off.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
goose246
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Goose -

I dropped ~$700 at the 'stealership' to have my stock FXD bars swapped out to the Wide Glide style (old WG) Mini Apes shortly after buying my bike new ... that also included replacing throttle/idle, clutch and brake lines/cables with stainless steel braided ....

Wish I had that money back now that I've done almost everything else my own self ....

It's part of the learning process though I think. You eventually overcome your fear that you'll ***** something up and figure your brothers on the forum will bail you out if you need technical advice once you get started.

A great place to start is get the service manual for your model/year.

I took my bars off to get them powdercoated and to run the wiring internally and having done that, I'd have no problem swapping bars ... in a heartbeat.

You'll probably end up doing it yourself eventually, the bars, cables, line etc will be less than half the $400 you were quoted ... especially if you find yourself a local bike shop .... They'll help you figure out the right parts you need, too.

What are ya waitin' for ...? Good luck and let us know if you have any questions .....

[Sorry to hijack the thread BlackHawk ....]

R/
'Chop
yeah yeah I know. Its just that there is a Hooters right next to the Harley dealer in Savannah so I dont mind at all killing time there while the work on the bike!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Chris Klitzing
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I bought the sportster

I'd agonized for quite a while about buying a Harley. I had intended on getting something bigger then a Sportster starting out. Some money issues came up and I bought a Sportster instead.

I was concerned about investing money into a bigger bike and not going on long enough rides to justify the costs. After talking to several people, they never go for more than an hour without stopping anyway. If, I was younger then mid 50's wouldn't matter anyway to me just want to feel the wind in my face and the two wheels under my feet.

Having a Harley has always been on my bucket list and I'm glad to have finally got one.

Safe riding to you all

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To BlackHawk,

The Sportster do ride rough. However, put a set of air shocks off a Road King on it and you're golden. If you get a standard height Sportster the stock RK shocks will work and you can find take offs for about $25-$75 on eBay for the pair. If you have a Sportster that's "lowered" from the factory, you can get the shorter RK shocks for about $100-$175 on eBay. They're not as cheap because RK owners by them to replace their factory standard length shocks.

You wouldn't think it makes a difference but those and a good seat makes the Sportster a much more comfortable long range bike. My Dyna WG is still better for highway use (little more room, 6th gear, and more torque) but comfort they are about the same now with the Dyna having a slight edge because I put a better seat on it.