Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences Between Sportster 1200 and Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
BlackHawk0160
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies everybody. It definitely sounds like the Super Glide is a better bike and more comfortable and the one I prefer at this point. The only problem is that I don't think I can afford even a used one. I wouldn't want one too old since technology advances fast. So, if I can find a Sportster, I might end up on that. I know I don't want any Sportster older than 2007 since they made it fuel injected then.

If I can't find a Sportster, I'll be very depressed lol. I'm determined to get something with two wheels though. Other, much weaker, much non Harley bikes lol, that I like are Kawasaki Vulcan, Honda Shadow, and Yamaha V Star 650. It kinda depresses me even thinking those brands though

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Look on craigslist and fleabay, etc for a good used bike ... he11, if I had it to do over, I'd have gotten an old shovelhead and spent 2 or 3 grand having the engine rebuilt and fixing the thing up (as necessary) ... I am looking pretty hard about either swapping out for an old panhead or adding ... I'll have to look around at swap meets, etc and see if I can find an old basket case or start collecting parts ... LoL

I really like what I have now, so am inclined to just start collecting parts until I can cobble together a second bike ... like to end up with an old hardtail springer or Hydra Glide with a Pan or Knuck ....

Although, obviously, most all of us on the forum would like to see you get you some American iron, most of us understand that sometimes 'ya gotta do what ya gotta do' ... if you're just starting out, a ricer V-twin is a start and before long, we'll probably see you posting that you 'traded up' ...

Good luck

R/
'Chop

Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk0160
Thanks for all the replies everybody. It definitely sounds like the Super Glide is a better bike and more comfortable and the one I prefer at this point. The only problem is that I don't think I can afford even a used one. I wouldn't want one too old since technology advances fast. So, if I can find a Sportster, I might end up on that. I know I don't want any Sportster older than 2007 since they made it fuel injected then.

If I can't find a Sportster, I'll be very depressed lol. I'm determined to get something with two wheels though. Other, much weaker, much non Harley bikes lol, that I like are Kawasaki Vulcan, Honda Shadow, and Yamaha V Star 650. It kinda depresses me even thinking those brands though
Nothing wrong with starting out on something you can afford. This motorcycling thing is expensive. You'll still have your knees in the breeze. I've heard good things (horror!) about both the vulcans and the v-stars. You should be able to find an affordable Sportster in this market. Personally, I'd be less concerned about fuel injection and more about the engine mounts (rubber vs. hard mounts). Carbed bikes are a bit simpler and cheaper to modify as far as after market pipes (jetting, air cleaner, etc.) The Sportsters are solid machines. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

I don't want to sound like an a$$, but learn to ride first. Then start the decision making process. We'd all hate to see you make the wrong decision and end up paying the ultimate price.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Glydiator
Tourer

Well first off, I agree with taking the motorcyle safety course.
Not only will it benefit you in many ways for safety, you can get your license without having to have a bike. They give you a 'voucher' that you take to the courthouse. At least they do in KY.....then you will be free to test ride at the dealers. You cannot test ride without a license at any place I went to....not even with your permit.
Plus, you will likely not enjoy test riding at the dealer if you have almost no experience on a motorcycle. The saftey class will help with that a little too.

Secondly, a sportser might be a chick bike...but so are all the others.
Size wise? I wouldn't be too scared of any harley. Lots of little guys out there ridin em big....and big guys on sportsters....chicks on dressers, fat boys, sportsters...oh yeah, and dynas :P

My girlfriend rides a 96 fatboy, and ain't nobody ever loved it more than she does, or looked better on it....
It's goddess juice in motion baby, yeah!

I love my FXD. I found it already chromed out and accessorised (almost as much as I wanted anyway)
Had pipes and EFI had been tuned....low miles...etc.
a great deal and a great bike....don't be scared to buy used..I think ebay has protection on their vehicles so if you get a major problem, you can have some ground to stand on. It's where I found mine.

If you think customizing your handlebars might be a major concern with you, then pay attention to the SuperGlides and the sportsters. With the speedometer setup, you have a bigger challenge than most....without spending extra money that is....

As far as metrics go....I rode honda and suzuki for years and loved them as well....I like the new Fury. I played around on one a few times...never took it out on the hiway though... but it was well balanced and fairly light. Very nice. Looks awesome as hell. You can get them barely used now for about 10-11K....maybe less who knows. I will admit that a harley feels feels more like a machine, but it's almost impossible to deny that the Fury is a sweet ride. Feels incredible sitting on it...as does that Yamaha Raider.

Something to consider about trading up: The dealer might give you full price on your sportster, but that won't include taxes, transfer, etc that you pay when purchasing/selling..... Haven't done it so I might be wrong, if so, someone correct me.

It will only take a little while to get used to whatever you get. ....thats the coolest thing about it....your brain knows subconciously you MUST ride and it will adapt the rest of you to conform to whatever you have ... lol.

A recommended course of action might include:
1. take the safety class
2. have patience finding a bike you want and can afford. (this is the hard part)
3. practice in a safe area getting used to your new bike (hard front braking, etc...yes you WILL use it)
4. ride with pride and remember this- riding safe is always cool....riding cool ain't always safe
5. enjoy the living crap out of it

and should you decide to celebrate and start buying beer for everyone, contact us here on the forum immediately.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sporty will be fast as all sh*t and very nimble. Makes a great zip around town bike. I don't know too many people who ride them on longer routes though. The consensus here seems to be Dyna over Sportster. Go to the Sportster group and I'll bet it'll be the opposite. Knowing what I know, I'd spend a few extra bucks on the SG. It's believed to be the best value for the dollar Moco offers.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
goose246
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Glydiator
Well first off, I agree with taking the motorcyle safety course.
Not only will it benefit you in many ways for safety, you can get your license without having to have a bike. They give you a 'voucher' that you take to the courthouse. At least they do in KY.....then you will be free to test ride at the dealers. You cannot test ride without a license at any place I went to....not even with your permit.
Plus, you will likely not enjoy test riding at the dealer if you have almost no experience on a motorcycle. The saftey class will help with that a little too.

Secondly, a sportser might be a chick bike...but so are all the others.
Size wise? I wouldn't be too scared of any harley. Lots of little guys out there ridin em big....and big guys on sportsters....chicks on dressers, fat boys, sportsters...oh yeah, and dynas :P

My girlfriend rides a 96 fatboy, and ain't nobody ever loved it more than she does, or looked better on it....
It's goddess juice in motion baby, yeah!

I love my FXD. I found it already chromed out and accessorised (almost as much as I wanted anyway)
Had pipes and EFI had been tuned....low miles...etc.
a great deal and a great bike....don't be scared to buy used..I think ebay has protection on their vehicles so if you get a major problem, you can have some ground to stand on. It's where I found mine.

If you think customizing your handlebars might be a major concern with you, then pay attention to the SuperGlides and the sportsters. With the speedometer setup, you have a bigger challenge than most....without spending extra money that is....

As far as metrics go....I rode honda and suzuki for years and loved them as well....I like the new Fury. I played around on one a few times...never took it out on the hiway though... but it was well balanced and fairly light. Very nice. Looks awesome as hell. You can get them barely used now for about 10-11K....maybe less who knows. I will admit that a harley feels feels more like a machine, but it's almost impossible to deny that the Fury is a sweet ride. Feels incredible sitting on it...as does that Yamaha Raider.

Something to consider about trading up: The dealer might give you full price on your sportster, but that won't include taxes, transfer, etc that you pay when purchasing/selling..... Haven't done it so I might be wrong, if so, someone correct me.

It will only take a little while to get used to whatever you get. ....thats the coolest thing about it....your brain knows subconciously you MUST ride and it will adapt the rest of you to conform to whatever you have ... lol.

A recommended course of action might include:
1. take the safety class
2. have patience finding a bike you want and can afford. (this is the hard part)
3. practice in a safe area getting used to your new bike (hard front braking, etc...yes you WILL use it)
4. ride with pride and remember this- riding safe is always cool....riding cool ain't always safe
5. enjoy the living crap out of it

and should you decide to celebrate and start buying beer for everyone, contact us here on the forum immediately.
I was agreeing with everything until you brought up the Honda Fury!!

Ha ha just jokin. I was readin the reviews on the fury though and the fastest you can go is 99 mph then the bike is governed to not go any faster.

Last edited by goose246; 10-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
goose246
Cruiser

I had every intention of swappin my super glides buckhorns out for mini apes as well. then the dealer said I was looking at at least four hundred bucks. then I decided the buckhorns werent so bad

Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Goose -

I dropped ~$700 at the 'stealership' to have my stock FXD bars swapped out to the Wide Glide style (old WG) Mini Apes shortly after buying my bike new ... that also included replacing throttle/idle, clutch and brake lines/cables with stainless steel braided ....

Wish I had that money back now that I've done almost everything else my own self ....

It's part of the learning process though I think. You eventually overcome your fear that you'll ***** something up and figure your brothers on the forum will bail you out if you need technical advice once you get started.

A great place to start is get the service manual for your model/year.

I took my bars off to get them powdercoated and to run the wiring internally and having done that, I'd have no problem swapping bars ... in a heartbeat.

You'll probably end up doing it yourself eventually, the bars, cables, line etc will be less than half the $400 you were quoted ... especially if you find yourself a local bike shop .... They'll help you figure out the right parts you need, too.

What are ya waitin' for ...? Good luck and let us know if you have any questions .....

[Sorry to hijack the thread BlackHawk ....]

R/
'Chop

Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
kpolak
Cruiser

OK, I'm really new to this, I went thru the MSF course a couple of months ago, and ended up finding a 99 Dyna Convertible FXDS-CONV on Craigslist. Translation: Bags and windshield. The 'older' bikes seem to be kept up just fine. I did a lot of research, and talked to friends around the country about what to buy and this is where I landed. I origionally planned on a Fat Boy, but it was out of my current price range. The '99-2000 Dynas have 1450 motors like the rest of the line, rubber mounts, and a 5-speed. I spent a few afternoons on a neighbor's Buell BR12X 1200 racer, before I got the Dyna, and that got the road jitters out. Fresh out of the course I didn't feel confident about being on the road.

The Dyna will feel heavy. You'll get used to it. Take it slow, and have fun with it.

Kurt

Quick Reply: Differences Between Sportster 1200 and Super Glide