Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences Between Sportster 1200 and Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Greenfed
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same decision problems when I finally bought my first Harley a few weeks ago. I would suggest test riding both bikes! I found that although it was fun to ride during the test ride (1200 Sportster), I thought I would definitely out grow the sportster. The great thing about Harleys is that there very customizable! So I would suggest getting the super glide and customizing it to you. It's definitely a smoother ride and has much more power! I ended up getting a 07 super glide that was already customized. All I had to do was just ride!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM
BlackHawk0160
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I definitely need to go get my license and test ride a few different bikes. I won't be happy until then. That probably won't happen until next spring though.

I probably won't have enough money to even buy a new Sportster, I'll probably get a 07' or 08', so I might not even be able to afford anything bigger even if I want it.

I am just really concerned that the Sportster will be too uncomfortable, even after a couple hour ride, but it seems that people are riding them on highways and still enjoying it so maybe that shouldn't be a concern.

One thing I should share is that whatever I buy, I won't be adding much except crash bars to protect the bike if it falls. Everything is just too expensive.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonl..._dl.asp?id=223

Any sportster newer than 2003 will have the rubber mounted engine (less vibration). I've ridden a 2003 1200C for some highway miles and it had plenty of power. That bike beat me up pretty good but they're versatile enough to be made into long-riders (and your butt mileage may differ). Buy what you can afford - personally I think I'd be able to get my money's worth out of a sportster if I'd decided to go that route.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk0160
I probably won't have enough money to even buy a new Sportster, I'll probably get a 07' or 08', so I might not even be able to afford anything bigger even if I want it.

That I think depends on how "new" you feel like you have to have. The economy is turning buying a used bike one of the best options out there as people her literally hurting for funds right now. You can buy a "new" sportster for 8 - 10 grand.....take a look at this page from a dealer of used bikes at the prices on some of these dynas

http://www.americanclassicmotors.net/dynas.htm

And that is from a lot....imagine what some private owners may be forced to give you as far as deals. That is the route I went and can't be more satisfied.

Just a thought.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
shrini23
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

sportster XL suggests for "Xperimental Lightweight" as the name suggests its easy to cruise inside big cities, but on a highway I always prefer a 6th speed which the big twins offer these days.
They are bit heavy than sportster but it is more balanced...

As someone pointed get teh sporty if they still offer that deal, you can trade in for the same price in a year...

But beware of the offer, When u usually buy Harley, the company gives bare stock so you end up spending time, money and effort on the bike to dress it up and if you wanna trade in then you would lose a lotta money...

My final conclusion its better to go with the big cousin of sporty and you'd be one happy customer for life and you dress her up the way you want

Hope it helps....but before everything man go get your license so that you can atleast give some test ride

Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
BlackHawk0160
6th Gear

Thanks for article "tomcat". it eased my mind a bit about highway riding.

One question I have for everybody is about riding position between the Sportster and Dyna. Is the riding position on the Sportster meant to make you lean a little bit forward rather than back? I didn't notice this when sitting on the different bikes, but I would think, and want, a bike with a riding position leaning back a bit. I would think it would be more comfortable, even driving around town. True or false?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Forwards and apes will lean you back on any of the bikes you chose.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk0160
Thanks for article "tomcat". it eased my mind a bit about highway riding.

One question I have for everybody is about riding position between the Sportster and Dyna. Is the riding position on the Sportster meant to make you lean a little bit forward rather than back? I didn't notice this when sitting on the different bikes, but I would think, and want, a bike with a riding position leaning back a bit. I would think it would be more comfortable, even driving around town. True or false?
Riding position for both bikes, stock equipped with mid-controls, are pretty close (upright, 'english'). I don't know if the new 'Low' sportsters come with forward controls or not. I'll be putting highway pegs on my Dyna sometime in the future just to be able to stretch out on longer rides. Handlebar setup will be more important for leaning back in the saddle. Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to sit a few bikes and figure out what's more comfortable for you.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
BlackHawk0160
6th Gear

Originally Posted by danktat
Forwards and apes will lean you back on any of the bikes you chose.

Could I get a picture of each of those types of handlebars? I really only know what drag bars (pretty much straight horizontally) and pull-backs are (come stock on the 1200L). I really like the pull back style. Actually, I like pretty much any style that has the "U" shape in the middle. I don't know what that's called lol.

I think what I would like most are pull back style bars but with the grips just a little bit more straight horizontally so your wrist isn't bent as much. Not sure if you know what I mean.

Is there a list (with pictures) that I could see the different types of bars and they're name? lol.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM
BlackHawk0160
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tomcat0818
Riding position for both bikes, stock equipped with mid-controls, are pretty close (upright, 'english'). I don't know if the new 'Low' sportsters come with forward controls or not. I'll be putting highway pegs on my Dyna sometime in the future just to be able to stretch out on longer rides. Handlebar setup will be more important for leaning back in the saddle. Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to sit a few bikes and figure out what's more comfortable for you.
I'm pretty sure mid controls are stock on the 1200L with the option of having them put forward. When I was talking with the sales person who was helpin me out, we decided I needed mid controls with forward pegs so I could rest my feet and stretch when I feel like it.

I think forward controls are stock on the 1200C, which felt a little too far away from me.

I'll definitely be going back to all the Harley dealers in my area a few times, hopefully more. I might just bring a sleepin bag with me next time lol.

Quick Reply: Differences Between Sportster 1200 and Super Glide