Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Derv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork brace

Hi guys, I'm after putting a fork brace onto my 02 FXDL, I'm told they stiffen up the front a tad? I fitted an uprated (home made) one to my V.Max a year or so back (with progressive fork springs) and it made a heck of a difference. Like the Dyna, it was quite a heavy bike running on quite spindly forks.

Anyway - I digress. I've been mooching about the 'net tying to find somewhere that a) actually sells them. And b) don't want mega bucks for one when they do - some of the prices are a bit silly. I'd make one but it's not really that easy on the D/G as it was on the V.Max, that was already fitted with a brace - albeit a weedy affair, so I just picked up on the existing mounting holes - like this:
(picture near the bottom of page so you'll have to scroll down past all the rubbish) http://www.oldgitbiker.pwp.blueyonde...vmax_page1.htm
Without access to the machinery making one for the D/G wouldbe a bit difficult.

Anyone any suggestions where I may be able to buy one at a justifiable price?

Derv

Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just kept searching ebay until I finally found one that would fit my bike and was listed at the price I wanted to pay. I ended up getting the Screamin Eagle brace for $114 including shipping. Not too bad considering it's $199 from the dealer.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Sonny's World
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the purpose of a fork brace? Is it a cosmetic piece or does it change how the bike handles? My bike seems to handle fine without a fork brace. Why would there be a need for one?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny's World
What is the purpose of a fork brace? Is it a cosmetic piece or does it change how the bike handles? My bike seems to handle fine without a fork brace. Why would there be a need for one?
Handles fine compared to what? I'm happy with my FXDXT, too, but found there was room for a lot of improvement, including the fork brace...it made the front end feel "stiffer"; less flexy; could still use a steering dampner but the remaining weaving isn't scary; just a reminder that maybe we're going a bit fast.

I'd say e-bay or one of the discount places ie Dennis Kirk's selloffs would be the cheapest to find one, or a sale event at your dealers.....

Attached Thumbnails fork brace-fork-brace-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 AM
B767
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who just bought a complete WG frontend. It has the SE brace on it. I believe he wants to sell it. I'll talk to him later today and let you know.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sharkey
Handles fine compared to what? I'm happy with my FXDXT, too, but found there was room for a lot of improvement, including the fork brace...it made the front end feel "stiffer"; less flexy; could still use a steering dampner but the remaining weaving isn't scary; just a reminder that maybe we're going a bit fast.
The cure for your weaving is to fit a True-Track handling kit! I have one on my FXDXT (and another on my dresser) and it transforms it. Bike rides better in a straight line as well as when cornering.

Most fork braces I have seen are certainly made to look good and should improve handling a bit. I have used them myself on previous bikes. But for most Harleys better handling can be had by using a stabilizer/handling kit.

The brand I use now sponsors the Dyna forum, so you can get a discount.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found one on Ebay for $90. I bought it because it was a good deal. I must say, I didn't notice a difference.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I like mine; think it looks tuff and it does make the front end feel more solid...hard to describe.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

WTF? I read they didn't work on the chrome front ends......
PkellyMc, looks great... Need to do more diggin on it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.
Sure he will be ... just 5 posts all bs.
Not just banned .... tarred and feathered would be more appropriate punishment.

Tried to report the post but the site wouldn't let me??

Quick Reply: fork brace