Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain to me how the forks work (shocks)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 11:32 AM
Afishinado
|
Road Master
Default Someone explain to me how the forks work (shocks)

My 99 FXDWG had 2200 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago. I replaced some of the rubber on it, tires, handle bar bushings... I also replaced the shocks, get off the bike and it stayed squatted down! Anyway, it seems to me the front end compresses too easily, like the 'shocks' were shot. They'll 'bottom out' on too small a bump it seems. The bike also feels a little squirrely to me (but I've been riding the FLHR some), considering adding the dog bone brace, but have to mess up the pretty caps on the chrome front end, if I can even fit them... So is there something I can check before I bring it to a stealer?

Last edited by Afishinado; 09-29-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 09-29-2009 | 12:33 PM
Afishinado
|
Road Master

Never mind.... Looks like I need to check the oil level first. SEARCH is your friend LOL

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:28 PM
pennetta
Tourer

Sounds like a spring issue as the ride height is not affected by the oil level or viscosity. The springs absorb shock and maintain the ride height. The oil only dampens, or slows the reaction to the springs compression.
You say you replaced the shocks, which implies the bolt off rear shocks, but you speak of the front end. Are the front and rear shock components stock?

Old 09-29-2009 | 09:04 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Here's my suggestion. Don't even waste your time 'checking' the fork oil level. Pull the little drain screws on the bottom of the forks and change the oil. You could even measure the oil coming out of each fork to see if it was 'balanced.'

I bought BelRay 15w Fork Oil from my local metric shop instead of the HD mystery weight fork oil. 1 liter was enough for both forks.

Old 09-29-2009 | 09:52 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

When I bought my '08 Wide Glide, I was very disappointed in the softness of the front suspension. Hit a rough spot in a corner and the front end over reacted and got squirrely.

If I just rolled the bike forward a couple of feet and grabbed the front brake, the front end would dive about four inches.

I changed to the Screamin' Eagle fork oil and it helped, but still got weird when hitting the twisties hard.

Installed Progressive springs and 20 wt. fork oil. Rides pretty stiff but handles extremely well in the turns.

Old 09-29-2009 | 09:56 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

You make it sound so easy to drain the forks, but how do you properly fill them back up?

That's one thing I have never done.

Old 09-29-2009 | 10:19 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by yoseppi
You make it sound so easy to drain the forks, but how do you properly fill them back up?

That's one thing I have never done.
On my 05' WG, it really is that easy. Drain the oil, replace plugs, pull the fork caps off, dump the oil in (??oz per the manual), replace fork caps.

I believe 06' and newer don't have drain plugs anymore. Also, some models have the spring tention on the fork cap. Best to lift the front tire off the floor (bike jack) and be really careful with the last few threads on the fork cap as they are still under some spring tention.

Old 09-30-2009 | 03:33 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

On a ten-year-old bike, if you're not aware of the fork oil being changed, you need to do it no matter what else you do. If you're going to do it yourself, you need to first get the oil viscosity and level from the service manual. If they're damping rod forks, they're pretty easy to do, but you should take 'em off anyway. When you're checking to see what the correct oil level is, you need to pay attention if it's measured with the forks compressed(usually the case). Sometimes they just tell you the amount to put in, as opposed to the correct height, which is easier to do, just less accurate.
After you put the oil in, you need to work the action on the forks to release any air that got trapped in, then button them back up and re-install 'em. If they're cartridge forks, you'll wanna have the dealer do 'em.

Old 09-30-2009 | 07:49 AM
Afishinado
|
Road Master

I replaced the rear shocks, never touched the front end. I bought the bike in 07 and pretty much only did what the previous owner did, add more bling (except I ride it a lot more than he did)... It has a chrome front end, and I assUme it is H-D... I won't see the bike until November when I get back to FL to see if it has drains. Does it look like it has stock chrome H-D tubes with drains?

Attached Thumbnails Someone explain to me how the forks work (shocks)-2211038_5.jpg