Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much play should there be in the clutch lever of Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much play should there be in the clutch lever of Street Bob?

I may have to take it in to the stealer as it is under warranty and I have no clue as to how to adjust this at all. My Busa was easy to do, but I have heard you have to actually go into the trans to do the Street Bob clutch adjustment. Is that true?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be an adjuster on the down tube on the left hand side. I usually put 1/8" slack in mine.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Do any covers have to be pulled off the engine or what? I'm just trying to get this bike ready to sell. I don't want to buy a manual for $100 just to get the clutch adjusted.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you just trying to get the slack out of the lever or is the clutch slipping? If it is slipping, you will need to pull off the derby cover (big one on left side) and adjust the clutch rod. Not a difficult task. Remove the outer cover, in the center of the clutch is a allen bolt with a nut on the outside of it.

1. Loosen the clutch cable adjuster and shorten the cable sleeve as much as possible, but don’t mess with the lever. Just leave it alone until the 3rd step.
2. Loosen the lock nut on the clutch pack push rod adjustment.
3. Pull in the clutch lever. It should touch the handle bar grip. If it does not touch the handle bar grip back out the push rod adjuster at the clutch pack while keeping pressure on the clutch lever until it touches the handlebar.
4. When the clutch lever touches the handle bar turn in the push rod adjuster while keeping pressure with your hand on the clutch lever. When you turn in the adjuster it will start to push the lever off the handle bar. Back the adjuster out until the lever returns to just touching the handle bar. Do this a couple of times until you know you are at the point where the lever is just touching the bar. When you find this point - back the adjuster out 1/2 turn and lock it down.
5. Adjust the clutch cable to 1/8 slack and lock it down.

Last edited by redrubicon2004; 09-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

No way man.. its sooo easy. On the left down tube of the frame, the clutch cable has a rubber boot that you need to pull down. Get a couple wrenches, loosen it up, and adjust as needed. I don't believe there's a set amount of play that it has to have, just whatever is comfortable for ya. Good luck!

How come your selling the bob?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

I am selling because I have two kids in college that need money from time to time and the only way to do it is to sell the Bob and pay off another bike that I have.

Anyhow, there just seems to be a lot of slack in the lever. I do have to hold it really tight when I stop because letting off the clutch just a bit lets it roll forward.

Last edited by 2XNightTrain; 09-28-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NWFLAStreetBob
I am selling because I have two kids in college that need money from time to time and the only way to do it is to sell the Bob and pay off another bike that I have.

Anyhow, there just seems to be a lot of slack in the lever. I do have to hold it really tight when I stop because letting off the clutch just a bit lets it roll forward.
Well your a damn good man. Good luck to you man.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Thanks. I owe less on the Bob than I do the other bike so if I sell the Bob I can take what I "hopefully" get for the Bob and pay off the other ride. That will eliminate two payments and part of my insurance.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I was going to tell ya, the service manual would be a good tool to check out but if your unloading it, then I can see that would be a waste of time and money. If you search the site, and google you will also find a couple video's for dyna clutch adjustmen. I got the manual and I also watched the video, and did the full blown adjstment as the clutch pack and the cable/lever adjust, and man it only took about 30 minutes of my time, and I'm pretty particular so if you work a little faster than me, you could do this in 15 minutes, easy.
Good luck and too bad about selling.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1/8". That is the norm. Not what feels good to you. To tight and it could burn up the what I like to call idler on the input shaft, because it will always have a little pressure on it. To loose and you might not get the clutch fully disengaged when you shift causing gear problems like busting a tooth off..

Quick Reply: How much play should there be in the clutch lever of Street Bob?