Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Another streetbob fuel tank disgust

So I was busy in the garage all day yesterday, with two new projects.
First, I just got my power commander V, and I would just like to say, this project gives a new meaning to 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb sack. Good lord, I had removed the electrical box, the battery and battery box, and was going by the paper work, they menton to route the harness under the frame, ugh NO. You do that and you can't install the battery box back in, so back and forth I went, trying to make it real perty like, well in the end I'm just suprised I got it in under the seat. I allready have the badlands load equalizer velcroed to the frame and now the pcv, and hoping to squeak out enough room for the autotuner later on down the road.

Anyway, so I finally wrap that up and onto 2nd project, the tank lift for under 50 bucks. Was all proud of myself, this last week, bought all the stuff, cut, prepped, primed, painted the spacers. Drained fuel tank, but tank wouldn't raise high enough, the harness under console was inhibiting it. Take off console, WHOAAAAAAAA Nelly, the frigging rust on the fuel tank console mounting plate, sheeeeeeesus. You gotta be kiddin me, well so much for riding today, took the plate off, got the die grinder, and went to work . 2AM and I have no primer to put on it, well I need sleep anyway so good point to call it a night. I'm just friggin blown away, I understand the moisture that gets in there, and I don't use a power washer to clean to my ride, but HD why not another 75 cents in paint, or zinc chromate, primer, clad something, but bare metal, man. Well, wasn't bad enough to buy a new plate but I'm deffinitely putting some protection on it, so off to the auto house.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 AM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel your pain with the PCV. Of all the mods I've done on my bike, apes,pipes etc..the PCIII I installed was far and away the biggest PITA.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good thing you went with the pc v. because the pc 111 is about twice the size.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
cactusred
Road Master

I have to say, part of it is the instructions that come with it, for example.
The front O2 sensor is located near the front headpipe. I'm looking all over the place by the front headpipe and no way, so I'm looking under the seat where the rear disconnects at, nothing, my last idea was maybe in the voltage regular stowage box,
BAAAAAAAM, there it was, right where they said, NOT. Anyway, I guess it would be like me saying the clutch lever turnbuckle is forward of the back tire, yep, it sure is.
Yea, I almost got the pcIII but thought well I might be intrested in auto tuning later on, and heck this sucker is half the 2/3 the size, I'll have all kinds of room, hmmmmm.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
cactusred
Road Master

Well after a long day, having some cold brewhas and thought I'd post a few pics of my progress as of now,

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-1.jpg
Huh, I don't think that's suppose to be there

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-15.jpg

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-2.jpg
Ugh, I really don't think that should be there

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-3.jpg
lightly sanded, naval jelly do your thing

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-4.jpg
ditto

Last edited by cactusred; 09-27-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
cactusred
Road Master

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-5.jpg
sent out to the paint shop

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-6.jpg
On to the auto-clave

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-7.jpg
Back from the paint shop, and a little 1500 wetsand

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-8.jpg
Who needs a scrubbin

Up to this point thought I'd start getting my brackets installed for tank lift and any changes in fuel/vacuum lines. Brackets went on without a hitch, yes... However fuel crossover nipples are not in good position, they to high, and fuel line will hit frame, ugh oh. Oh man, I don't want to mess with those nipples, (I can honestly say, that's the first time that's ever come up), so no way around it, I have to very tenderly tweek them down. Okay crossover fuel line back on.
Where's my aluminum polish, conveniently I'm fresh out, well should be ready to put inner fuel tank plate back on tank tomorrow and call this 1hr tank lift a done deal after 2 days,
need more beer for now.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked on a 05 Road King a few weeks ago and it was worse then yours and I have the console apart on my brothers 07 Night Train and it's about the same as yours.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 PM
cactusred
Road Master

07 nighttrain huh, wow.
Well I'm ugh, errr, for lack of better words, dumbfounded by this. I don't use a power washer, i've only rode twice in the rain, I live well water, so it's not like my hose is high psi, I even take my shop vac/blower and blow dry the bike after washing. I think the primary culprit is lack of protecting on metal surface, so I got that part rectified, now I guess I''ll add my shop vac/blower nozzle into the front tank opening after washing to make sure and blow any water out.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i installed my PC-v i put the harness behind Cylinder# 2. tucked under (which ever) harness is there. she stayed put, had absolutely no problem reinstalling the basic components in reverse after that.

so far 2 weeks and counting, and the harness is in place. try that. if Not do what i suggested, and then zip tie it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
cactusred
Road Master

Well got her about finished up today and wanted to show some of the process today.

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-1.jpg
Just got back from the stealer and got all the new parts, gasket, bolts, fuel filter (might as well, allready in there)

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-2.jpg
One last look, everything out of there, yep looks okay to close her up.

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-3.jpg
new gasket in place and everything all back from my paint shop.

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-4.jpg
Heres something that suprised me, I honestly was going to reuse the old bolts, figuring, they are just bolts, what the hell. I'm glad I didn't I snapped this shot to sow the difference in the new bolt and old bolt. If you look close you can see the old one the rubber in the seal is considerably shrunk down, quite possibly a fuel leak waiting to happen. So word to the wise, you tear your top plate off, do your self a favor and replace those bolts.

Another streetbob fuel tank disgust-5.jpg
My new torque wrench bought just for the occasion, 20 inch pounds AYSM, I think it calls for more torque lifting that tweleve pack of MGD I bought this afternoon. Well it can collect dust with my 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches on the shelf, but when you need em, at midnight, god bless em.

Quick Reply: Another streetbob fuel tank disgust