Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride with a backpack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ride with a backpack?

I have a 06 Bob and am thinking about a 5 hour ride on July 1st and ofcourse the return trip a few days later. I very rarely take a trip like this, so without spending the extra cash (which I really don't have right now) on a windshield and detachable saddlebags. I was thinking.....f&%k it, I'll put on some goggles, plugs in my ears and a bandana over my face. Can anyone share a similar expierence?

Old 06-19-2006, 03:49 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ride with a backpack?

That's exactly how I would do it. I have a windvest but I've had it off for two weeks or so and I'm loving every minute of it. I've only driven a car to work once since April 20th, and I just strap a little duffle bag to the passenger pillion with some bungies to carry items back and forth. It works great. If you don't have the pillion, you could get the Motherwell rack for 40-50 bucks. Hell, I'll sell you mine for cheap. I don't use it with the passenger setup.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

I have made a five hour ride with no windshield and a backpack, wasnt too bad. I startred worrying what the contents of the backpack would do to my spine should I go down about three hours into the ride. I wouldnt want to carry anything substantial, but a change of clothes should be fine.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

I have ridden with a backpack a few times. Now I have a luggage rack and use a rollbag or other luggage strapped to it. I like this much better. The backpack makes your back very hot and sweaty in hot weather. Also, don't carry anything hard or heavy in the backpack. It is uncomfortable and in case of a fall could cause a more serious injury. The luggage rack is the way to go or at least strap it to your seat behind you.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM
navyman
Road Master

I use a backpack to/from work. (10 miles each way) For long trips, I have a T-bag that attaches to passenger backrest.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Rauzer
Road Captain

I used to ride with a backpack all the time on my Ducati. Now that I have the SG I got a luggage rack and a bag that straps to the back.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:04 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just rode from Phoenix AZ to Austin TX with goggles, ear plugs, bandanna, and backpack, just as you described. 1000 miles over two days. Not bad. The backpack kinda rested on the passenger pillion of the Bob so I didnt feel its weight much, although it got a little warm on my back. But it was 90+ degrees so I guess it woulds been hot anyway, huh? But suprisingly comfortable ride. After almost 18K in Harley, I just couldnt swing those saddle bags before I hadda leave! Go for it, you'll be fine.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Cory
Tourer

so you guys use the bandana over the face? is this to protect from wind/bugs at speed over a very long ride when a windshield is absent?

I used one when it was cold but havent since it's warmed up.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:13 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my bike in Phoenix AZ about a month ago now, and had about ten days to get the 500 on her so's I could ride it to Texas. After all that time in the AZ sun, even with #30 all over, my nose lost quite a few layers of skin and was red, raw and bloody, I wore a bandanna over my face the whole 1000 miles to TX and kept it on during the outside parts of the ROT Rally when I got there. It kept it from getting worse, and plus I looked like Billy the Kid or something! Being a blonde haired, blue eyed, fair skinned Swede I need all the protection I can get.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummmm,. glad this topic was brought up. I am planning a longer trip next week as well and the Mrs aint gonna let me spend the extra $$$ on a sissy bar/luggage rack and all the stuff that goes with it. I have a motherwell rack that I use when I have my factory solo seat on, But there is no way my butt can take my factory seat on a long ride. I have a H-D Tallboy seat and its really comfy, but since its a twoup seat, I obviously cant use my luggage rack. My question is this: How do you guys strap or bungee stuff to your twoup seats? What I meant is where do you hook the bungee hooks at? I realize that probably sounds like a pretty stupid question,....but what the hey,....LOL

John

Quick Reply: Anyone ride with a backpack?