Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride with a backpack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ride with a backpack?

Mud,

The easiest way that I found to remove the reflectors was to use either fishing line or dental floss like a saw to cut them off. I then used a lil dab of WD-40 on a rag to remove the excess glue on the fender or shocks. It was actually alot easier to do than it is to explain,.....LOL

So your from San Antonio,... We'll be there in a couple of weeks for vacation.

John

Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,110 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmbear328Mud,
The easiest way that I found to remove the reflectors was to use either fishing line or dental floss like a saw to cut them off. I then used a lil dab of WD-40 on a rag to remove the excess glue on the fender or shocks. It was actually alot easier to do than it is to explain,.....LOL
Thanks for the info John. Appreciate it.

So your from San Antonio,... We'll be there in a couple of weeks for vacation. John
If you have time, give me a call.

mud

Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to work as a motorcycle messenger for many years. My job was to carry crap with me on the bike. Usually used a messenger bag, the type that goes over one shoulder and I sould let the bag rest on my back seat but I used a backpack on occasion. Then I got a bike that had a sissybar with a luggage rack. IT was all over. The rack with a bungee, and I was good. But for your case, I'd try attach the bag to the bike somehow as It is much cooler and more comfortable. I used to put tape over my paint where the bungee's would possible hit it. Worked great, but then I needed goo gone to get the tape yuck off of the paint. Anyway, good luck with however you choose to do it. Name:  d81feea5.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 AM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactly how I removed my reflectors Mud. Say, where do you guys buy your cargo net?

Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM
phreak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: stbobber

Thats exactly how I removed my reflectors Mud. Say, where do you guys buy your cargo net?
I can't remember whether I got one at Walmart or KMart or NAPA or AutoZone, or some other dollar store type place. Dealerships have them also, but I paid substantially less wherever it was I got it.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a Motherwell rack on my bike.

Got a pair of small sportster bags off ebag for about 40 bucks. They are small enough to hang between the shocks and turnsig stalks. Got a Kuryakyn grantour from Eastern Performance for 129 shipped. It rests on the rack but has a ring at each corner which strap to the shockmounts and taillite stalks. Has a lumbar support that velcros to the front. Coupla hundred bucks and I'm good to go anywhere.

I've run 750 miles in a day with this set up and was very comfortable,just lean back and go.

Bandana is good if you're gonna run hard for hours,main thing I like is it absorbs the turbulance around your face and nostrals if you're running a steady 80 to 90 for hours at a time.

I've since changed seats but I found the factory Bob seat very comfortable on my last trip,no soreness or back pain at all and I'm older'n dirt and fat (or should I say,built more for comfort than speed).

Walmart has those little cargo nets for about 12 or 14 bucks and a good heavy leather tool pouch made by Bell for about 25 bucks.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Convert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to ride with a backpack to and from work (30 mi one way) but my shoulders got sore from the weight, I carried a laptop and rain gear, so I got a Kuryakyn barrel bag for the handlebars and put the rain gear and a few other things in that and just put the laptop in the backpack. I don't have saddlebags, I don't want to clutter up the look of the bike, plus I'm afraid of messing up that flat black finish (oh yea, I ride a Bob as well). If you want to find out for sure put all your stuff in your backpack and go out for an hour, you'll most likley know by then what you want/need to do. I live in Orlando and am doing a poker run in the keys is Sept. I'm getting another Kuryakyn bag for the back and putting it on a rack for the rear fender. I hope my input is helpfull!

Robert

Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a piece of neoprene wetsuit material (or something similar) on the fender and then, providing you haven't got the reflectors still, you can pass a webbing strap between the fender and the strut to secure your stuff. Feels more solid than a bungee