Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ride with a backpack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Cory
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ride with a backpack?

I bought a 'motorcycle cargo net' at Walmart that works wonderfully....has plastic hooks and is the perfect width to strap over a bag and hook to the bottom edge of the fender on each side.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:54 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I bought one of those same cargo nets from wally world as well but I'm just too **** about my paint to strap it directly to the fender. But since my seat bumber kit cushions are thicker than my bungees I just went out and ran bungees under the passenger portion of my seat a few minutes ago and it work great. Its sad how complicated I was thinking straping something on my rear seat would be. But it works great now,....LOL

John

Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Cory
Tourer

I put a small towel on the fender before I put the bag on it, then strap it down with the cargo net.
the black denim paint takes it like a champ.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,111 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: Street_Dennis
...................................... Hell, I'll sell you mine for cheap. I don't use it with the passenger setup.
How much for the Motherwell Dennis????

mud

Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM
phreak
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Cory

I put a small towel on the fender before I put the bag on it, then strap it down with the cargo net.
the black denim paint takes it like a champ.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Lot of the time I will hook the corners of my cargo net to the turn signals, and this little opening in the phender strut trim just in phront of the shocks. Middle hooks go on the edge of the phender.

I'm taking a 1k round tripper that same weekend, and I will be throwing some clothes in a back pack, and strapping it to the passenger pillon with the cargo net. Should give me just a little extra back support also.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,111 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmbear328
.................................My question is this: How do you guys strap or bungee stuff to your twoup seats?
What I meant is where do you hook the bungee hooks at? ............................................
John
John,
I have a leather bag that is about 18" long. I will hold a lot of "stuff", and the leather won't damage my seat.

I have bungees in two different lengths depending what is in the travel bag.

The hooks fit perfectly on the top shock standoffs, and the turnsignal standoffs. #1 strap rt shock to lt turn. #2 strap lt shock to rt turn.

Haven't had any problems.

mud

Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool,... Thanks,.... sometimes the obvious isnt always so obvious,.....LOL

Hey mudpuddle,
Where in Texas are ya from? I'm here in North East Texas.

Joh

Old 06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, thanks Bro's your giving me some good ideas. I was wondering if I could strap the backpack on my rear fender somehow since I have a solo seat. That would keep the straps off of my shoulders for a more comfortable ride. maybe I'll check into a cargo net, but I am worried about scratching the rear fender.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Patch
Tourer

I use bungee cords alot. I have a luggage rack on my bobtail rear fender for two up and I bungee cord the backpack to the rear seat when riding solo. the more you can keep in front of the rear axle the better.

Harley sells bungee mounting bolts at the dealerships. they are bolts that replace the mounting bolts and nuts that hold the rear fender struts on. they look cool and work well.
I have done 3 day trips with these often as I have no windshied nor saddlebags...only naked for me.
I don't wear the backpack...I bungee it to the rear section of the seat.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I know for a fact, strapping a loaded back pack to your back will kick your A$$, I recently put on a sissy bar and strap a back pack to it for trips to the store, it works like a champ, good luck.

Quick Reply: Anyone ride with a backpack?